• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How often do you replace the nipple ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi! I’m your new buddy! When do you start and do you want me to send you a priority box full of worn out nipples? 😁
Thank you, Bad Karma! I'll keep you in mind.

When looking at the Platinum nipples it's plain they're not completely platinum - probably steel with a platinum flash channel insert. My concern is ensuring there's no way the insert could shoot out the hammer side. But if BACO can do it without issues, I'm sure there's a way.

Does anyone know what alloy of Beryllium gets used for nipples? Beryllim bronze? Beryllium copper? Any others?

When looking at the Platinum nipples it's plain they're not completely platinum - probably steel with a platinum flash channel insert. My concern is ensuring there's no way the insert could shoot out the hammer side. But if BACO can do it without issues, I'm sure there's a way.

Does anyone know what alloy of Beryllium gets used for nipples? Beryllim bronze? Beryllium copper? Any others?
That’s exactly how they’re made. A small flange in the flat of the nipple is probably all, besides interference fit, which keeps the platinum bushing (lack of a better term) in place.

I think the Treso nipples are described as bronze, AMPCO bronze if that helps. Usually the factory supplied nipples are mild steel and are not very good to start with. Lots of advice to immediately go with stainless or start with Treso nipples.

I was an industrial process control instrument tech before retirement. We used some instruments that had platinum filaments. As these units were replaced I got the filaments. I take one of these filaments and melt it into a ball which is about one eighth of an inch in diameter. The hole in the bead is the same size as the original hole, I can’t tell you the exact size without going out to the shop and checking my number drill bits.

I was an industrial process control instrument tech before retirement. We used some instruments that had platinum filaments. As these units were replaced I got the filaments. I take one of these filaments and melt it into a ball which is about one eighth of an inch in diameter. The hole in the bead is the same size as the original hole, I can’t tell you the exact size without going out to the shop and checking my number drill bits.
I’m always astounded at the knowledge available on a foru such as this one. It’s truly amazing.

William - what did it take to melt the platinum?

That doesn't sound difficult. I'd be tempted pouring the melted Platinum directly into the well in the nipple. Then chuck in the lathe and drill the flash channel..

Going that route I wouldn't need to buy rod, just wire.

New question, but along this same line:

I've got a Pietta 1860 army with Slix shot nipples. Came to me with them. The orifices are .037" and that seems pretty large. But they're all the same and don't look worn. Is this standard?

The threads in my search all come up with rifle nipples even though I specified pistol, so here I am. Have any of you measured the orifice on cap revolvers?

Also, if .037" is, in fact, a good size - why do they need to be so much larger than the .024" that's proper for a rifle?

Nipple configuration and orifice size are unique to each manufacturer. And if you ask each manufacturer, their nipple is the best.
The nipples I use in all of my rifles have an .032 orifice, Knights Red Hot. They work great.
Slix shot nipples work great with revolvers and are almost universally recognized as such.

So basically, revolver nipples, are different than, rifle nipples because of the shape of the fire channel and how they are used,,?

The only reason Slix Shot does that is because they work well.
Who said .024 is proper for a rifle? Just wondering?

Last edited:
I bought a pin gauge set just to document and compare wear on nipple holes. I build, shoot and compete quite a lot and want the best equipment I can get. Here is what I have found shooting normal match type loads which are basically volume grains that are around caliber size and up to 10-15 grains above. An example 40 caliber rifle = 40 grains to 55-60 grains. The standard metal nipple will start opening up within one or two range sessions and will progressively open. If I were to use one of these as my standard, I would replace it about every 100-150 shots (maximum) and always before any match. The Tresco Ampco nipple is better, but will start opening around 100 shots and will continue opening but much slower than standard metal. You can probably go to around to somewhere around 3-4 hundred shots before replacing. I have yet to have a Platinum lined nipple open up any at all and I have been shooting one for over a year averaging over 100 shots per week.

I have no idea what diameter hole is considered bad, but I do know that a hole that keeps opening up is not good. It is not consistent and that to me is bad.

I have found that standard metal nipples will start somewhere from .028 to .032 and will open very quickly.

I have found the Ampco to start around .028.

The Platinum nipples are around .025.

necchi - From the reading I've done (no personal experience) the figures that come up are .024" is optimum for a rifle nipple, and is worn out beyond .028". I believe it was Idaho Lewis said that, but others who compete found the same to be true. Orifice size is a game of going the smallest with good ignition. Velocity drops the larger the orifice becomes, so pressure is obviously being lost through the nipple. Evidently .024" is the optimum size.

Now, I wonder why revolver nipples aren't also .024"? Below .037" do the slix shots have inconsistent ignition? Why is .037" desirable in a revolver nipple, while in a rifle it's way beyond its prime and causing trouble?

I seem to recall that an oversize flash hole can cause a chain fire. Blowback through the nipple can set off neighboring loads.

Latest posts

Back