• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How Often Do You Remove the Touch Hole Liner

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enfield58

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Only recently have I acquired flintlocks with touch hole liners. My other flintlocks just had touch holes - no liners.

My two Pedersoli Charles Moore flintlock pistols have hooked breeches. So this makes them easier to clean.

On the other hand, my Frontier rifle lacks the hooked breech but still isn't difficult to clean.

I use white lithium grease on the threads of the touch hole liners so they are easier to remove.

I decided to try the barrel flushing kit from TOW for the Frontier rifle. However, it's impossible to get a good seal with the o-ring if the touch hole liner is in place. The slots in the liner prevent a good seal.

So the only way to get a good seal with the barrel flush kit is to remove the touch hole liner. I find this difficult when the gun is fouled even with the lithium grease in place.

With all this said, I am thinking about going back to my traditional way of cleaning the barrel like I did with other muzzle loaders and leave the touch hole liner in place.

I would only remove it when it needs to be replaced.

Sorry for the long way around to asking the question.

How often does everyone here remove their touch hole liners in their flintlocks?

Back