• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How Not To Shoot a flintlock Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look carefully on the bottom of the maniac U tube video and watch the Don Klein video. Not only does he show how to do it safely, he has a beautiful gun to do it with.

This guy is an idiot. Maybe he will loose the bug. The other thing is shooters will see a vid like and we all get painted as possibly careless idiots that should be watched.

Jay

I think there are a lot of people out there who don't have the faintest idea of the proper methods of loading a flintlock.

That said, the thing that bothers me is many of those people would get PO'ed if some knowledgeable person told them the right way to do it and why it is the right way.
:shake:

Not big on safety is he?I always thought that you never directly pour powder from a powder horn and never prime the frizzen until the ball is seated properly!Plus the 4f for the frizzen is not be to used for the main charge in the barrel.Right?

You are correct Pyrodex.
The reason I added "...and why it is the right way." is because for several hundred years the military taught their troops to put the gun on half cock, rip open the paper cartridge, prime the pan, close the frizzen, pour the rest of the powder down the barrel and then ram the ball, with or without the paper as a over-ball wad.

Of course that was dangerous as hell but because troops are expendable and this method was fast the brass didn't really care. If the gun fired while loading once in a while there is always someone else to replace the wounded (or dead) guy with.

As for 4F powder for priming many people (including me) have found that 3F powder in a medium to large sized lock works just as well if not better.

Cool! Thanks for the info!Kind of of appalling how expendable the brass considered the front line troops!

If you read the comments section below the screen, the guy continues to justify his lunacy even when the errors he is committing are pointed out to him. His reason for priming first is that the pistol will misfire if he doesn't. New one on me. It turns out that he is actually carefully measuring his powder charge when it looked to me like he was pouring a random amount down the barrel. But no!!! As he pours, he counts to two. This gives him a precise 60 grain charge every time! That is a pretty hefty load in that pistol, but the fact is this bozo failed the Darwin test long before he poured that powder down his pistol's gullet. Someone ought to show him how to spell Dragoon, too. But that is the least of his problems!

well as u can tell i just had to say something, my gf here and my buddy had both said what is up with this guy, the title, the name of the gun and the finger on the trigger...... just right off the bat. well i do understand what the aim of this was but it ended wrong and should be offline. when i said about throwing a measured charge, ya that says something about knowing the type of firearm ur dealing with. my buddy pointed out to me with a sad chuckle, the guys lucky he didnt pour smokeless down the barrel without a second guess.
The counting of seconds to determine the amount of powder thrown,:rotf: :cursing: i wish my horn was complete to prove otherwise about this. in fact this give me motive to do so to finish the project.

God...This ever make me cringe, he tests the ignition with a pan full of powder then immediatly jams his powder horn there to refill it.

Lord I am so happy I didnt just watch a man blow his own head off.

Another reason the soldiers primed first was that doing so was necessitated by the paper cartridge. If you loaded the barrel first...well, there went your priming charge as well! :grin:

But this guy on the video is priming first when there's NO valid reason to do so. He also loads directly from the horn; doesn't measure charges; puts the horn mouth near a hot (just fired) pistol.... :(

Jim

But this guy isn't loading a musket, so the cartridge idea really isn't relevant. And he has confused snapping a cap on a percussion firearm with touching off a panful of powder on an empty pistol. And when the error of his ways is pointed out to him, he continues to justify his actions with jibberish. The risk of a newcomer seeing this clip and following this moron's advice is all to real. When enough accidents with blackpowder firearms occur, Big Brother will take notice and regulations will fall upon our hobby like leaves in the fall. And guys like this one will cause accidents.

The same idiot "demonstrates" a percussion rifle. Yes, he puts the cap on first and then loads the gun. :shake:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKnDL-iD03w[/youtube]

Well he did one thing right. He made sure the ball was seated on the powder.

That guy is cheating death.

:youcrazy:

HD

i was going to post earier about this, computer crashed. once again he almost puts his ramrod through his hand. this is just sad. but i just like the comment about counting to regulate his charge and loading from the horn. i would guess he didnt even measure the charge in those cartridges he put down bore.

It's amazing! He's still alive! I'm no doctor, but I think this clown needs his meds upped. And someone should take his camera away A.S.A.P.

Even his kid has a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-_CZdTx01w.
I see the old man passed on his gun handling knowledge to his little spud.....the kid's waving his nerf gun muzzle every which way & then shoots at the wall above his sleeping mother. True, a nerf gun, but safe firearms handling has to start somewhere. I think somebody peed in that family's gene pool!

Last edited by a moderator:
:v Not to belabour an issue Mykeal--I invite you to shoot at three ranges with me. After that you will guarantee Darwin was correct. :hmm:

The statement,
stupidity runs rampant at firing ranges and anywhere "gun owners" get together
is an insult to the members of this forum and 60 million gun owners in the US.

Yes, there are idiots that own and use guns, just like there are idiots who run for and get elected to Congress, or post ill-conceived messages on forums. But it should be abundantly clear from all the other posts in this thread that stupidity in fact DOES NOT run rampant through gun owners. You owe us an apology.

Note the "FLEX" in that ramrod when he begins to ram his ball. He is going to break it one of these days and run it through his hand. I guess he never heard of a short starter either. :youcrazy:

Back