• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

How Not To Shoot a flintlock Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scalper. I Know you didn't mean the way it sounded. But I just had to give you some s##t. :wink: I do agree that he is a frickin' idiot, and that people like him should not be aloud to post this drivel. but this is the good ole U.S.of A. And my father fought and my uncle died for his right to do so. FREEDOM IS NEVER FREE!!

Galen.

Having never fired or loaded a flintlock( :redface: ) I a complete virgin can see what this guy is doing wrong. I hope he doesn't expect all who watch this sthat this is the proper way to load and fire. His video should be titled "How not to load and fire a flintlock pistol".
The rifle was just as bad. he dropped the cartridge down there whole??? good thing it fired else he would have to get out his ball puller. Well he could then put out a vid on how to empty out a misfired rifle.

Maybe the guy never had anybody show him the right way to do things. I bought my first and only flinter at the ripe old age of 13 and I never had anybody show me how to use it. I put my powder in a Joy dishwashing liquid bottle and loaded straight out of the bottle. I primed out of the same bottle but I did load first. Needless to say my loads were anything but consistent but I just didn't know any better. I'd watched movies where they loaded straight out of a powder horn so I thought that was the way to do it. I kinda get teed off a tad when everybody jumps on somebody and saying they deserve a Darwin award(whether I think they do or not) when I've done plenty of things and sometimes still do that y'all would chit and go blind if you saw me do.

I'd understand if he's simply uneducated, but he's responded to many helpful comments on the YouTube site with essentially "mind your own business, I know what I'm doing". No excuses for that.

OK, I'll buy that. I haven't seen the video. Unless it's really short they take too long on dialup. :barf:

rebel727 said:
I kinda get teed off a tad when everybody jumps on somebody and saying they deserve a Darwin award..[snip] ..I haven't seen the video.

I guess you'll have to take the word of those that have watched the video and have some basis for their comments. The guy is dangerous and won't even consider good advice from others.

Carl Davis said:
rebel727 said:
I kinda get teed off a tad when everybody jumps on somebody and saying they deserve a Darwin award..[snip] ..I haven't seen the video.

I guess you'll have to take the word of those that have watched the video and have some basis for their comments. The guy is dangerous and won't even consider good advice from others.

No problem with that. What bugs me is there's been plenty of times people here will get all over somebody's case over something when I've done worse.
Maybe I'm just a Darwin winner waitin for a place to happen.

Is there any way of getting this guy's name and address?
I would really like to take out a "Life Insurance Policy" on him, with me as benificiary.
I don't think I would have to make too many payments, before I collect.
Old Ford

Yes. sometimes the treatment may be a bit harsh of 'some' things here... however that video of the guy loading the pistol was extremely dangerous and yes he (will) deserve the darwin award... the best analogy is remember those driver education movies where they would show all the things NOT to do... well, it was THAT bad!

Trust us... it was much much much worse than loading powder with a joy bottle (which is not a bad idea at all)... the guy primed and cocked the gun then flipped it around with his FACE over the barrel as he poured umeasured powder down the HOT (very recently fired) muzzle. And before that everytime he had the gun in his hand his fingers were wrapped around the trigger... It was as if the video was intended to be how to make muzzleloaders laugh by doing everything wrong.

But as others have said he insists he is doing everything righht... any gun safety course teaches the basics and that guy not only ignores the basics he does the gun safety cardinal sins... that is why he has rustled so many feathers here.

That do make a difference. Videos take to long for me to download so I was just responding to past experiences which I shouldn't have done.

After watching the flintlock video i looked a a few other videos on youtube, check out the one titled "3 barrel canon". The totaly incorrect info on this video as well as several safety issues caused me to write a note to the company that was filming it, that company is Springfield Arsenal. There response back to me was "get a life" They claimed to have 50 years of experience with guns. It was quite obvious that they know nothing of history or muzzleloading firearms.
Just shows how many idiots are out there including people in the gun business that should know better.

Damn! I just watched this today. I caught myself actually leaning away from the computer screen. I wish I could have reached in there and given him a cyber-slap.

Maybe he'll blow himself up before he multiplies.

I was holding onto my chair, when he was forcing that ball down :shocked2:

That pistol was at full cock, and primed with a huge charge all the while aimed right at his head :youcrazy:

If that lock had a weak sear, he could have easily lit it off sending the .58 ball right up into his chin!

Crazy or Drunk :youcrazy:

I doubt that a shot to the head would harm this man much as there are no vital organs there. His brain is located much lower in his anatomy and if he ever sits down too hard he'll wind up with a serious concussion.

Too late; he's already done that. His kid was doing the filming. The most astute thing I heard was when his kid said "You Stink" when he missed the target.

I guess it's true. The good Lord looks after drunks and fools.

It still gives me goosebumps thinking of him running that ball down on full cock (shiver)

The scary part is how many people has he demonstrated his technique to?

he ahs over 1600 views so far on that UNSAFE video. I would hope that anyone seeing that would immediately determine that that is NOT how to load a flintlock. anyone with any common sense could see the pistol in fully cocked and primed and after he pours that unknown amount of powder down the muzzle it could go off and being near the muzzle is a no no... of course he instead puts and ROUND BALL in the muzzle and is leaning OVER it and has his hands and forearms immediately OVER the muzzle while he contorts to ram rod it... truly amazing display of how NOT to load a flintlock... and yes the other safety violations are gruesome to say the least.

Back