• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How much powder?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How much powder you said in my 1858 Remmie? Ah, 30 gr fffg. Ok, I filled my measure with 30gr fffg. I poured that into another I have. Shows 25. Poured it into another and shows under 20. Maybe 18.
So if I measure 30 on the middle one? Or 30 in the large one.
So I have a question. The obvious on the large one is self explanatory. How much difference in 25 and 30. Is 5gr gonna make much difference?
Is there a table conversion for weight on black powder?
Which one of these is these instruments is the correct measure for revolvers. I personally use the small one. I see a lot of "start with 20gr fffg" for newbies. But they're not told what powder measure to use.
Just thought I'd put this out there for conversation and discussion. I might learn something too.

Pre-marked measures are a guess at best. I ALWAYS weigh my charges. Weigh a charge to 30 grains of real black powder, say FFFg. Put it into your measures, one by one. Keep the one that is accurate. Or, as I do, make one that actually hold the proper WEIGHED amount. Now you know what 30 grains by VOLUME should look like. Now you can load substitutes by volume equivalent (to equal the same volume that the 30 grain weighed charge.) Any volume charger I have has been verified with a scale. Anything else is guessing.

ADK Bigfoot

Empty 223 case is close enough to 30gr for me

With a steel frame 1858 clone you cant really get too much powder in the cylinder and have the bullets properly seated

As ADK said, grains is a measure of weight. Applying volumetric to a weight measure is approximation only. While it may not make much difference, the only way to accurately confirm grains is with a scale, then record that on the volume measure of choice.

Grain is a unit of weight - 7000 grains equals one pound. Saying "Grains by volume" would make your science teacher yell at you.
the volume taken up by some grains of powder.

Don't sweat the small stuff Black Gunpowder is very forgiving of charge size Unlike that heathen fad smokessomewhatless stuff. Find the volume that woks for you and use it. Equal volumes of different powder brands will weigh different amounts.
Respectfully
Bunk

I suspect us shooters are the last to use grain as a weight , even the Europeans use grams now days . New Zealand is fully metricized but most shooters still use the old measures such as grains when reloading , feet per second for velocity foot pounds for energy etc

I got a 30gr spout for my flask. With a cap on the end, when you flip it over to fill, it gives 30gr on the dot. Was using a 15gr and double shoting it.

I used to just fill the chambers clear up with powder and then cram a ball on top! Don't do this though as the fouling will be bad and the risk of chain fires is also high! I run 30 grains out of one of those Treso flasks with the valve and measure spout. Works pretty slick and with the right movements every time I get a pretty consistent powder throw. I run 30 grains by volume in my 1860 Army and my NMA. Have fun!

Back