• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How much powder does bess take?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitetrash078

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am going to ask a lot of stupid :redface: questions since I have never fired a musket let alone a flintlock. How much powder do you use for a hunting load in a brown bess? And also what powder granulation do you use? Thanks in advance.

What kind of powder? Black or Pyro?
: With GOEX 2F is fine, but you can use 1F if desired. 3F should, perhaps be kept to loads at or under 100gr.
: With any of the "fake" black powders, you will need 15 to 20gr. of black powder at the breech with the 'other' stuff on top. The 'smokeless' black powders like Pyrodex, Hodgdon's Triple 7 & Black Mag 3, have higher flash points than black and need the black powder to accept the flash from the pan for ignition. They may work alone, sometimes, but ignition will be slow or non-existant.
: A good hunting load is anything from 3 drams up - that's 82gr. = 3 drams. Most guys I now use 100 to 150gr.2F with a single round ball. The pressure from the 150gr. load is low, n the 6,000-7,000 LUP range. 1F developes less pressure and velocity than 2F. 100gr. 2F will slay moose. if you need more than that, and more usually produces less accuracy, the animals must be of large size for certain. My brother's Bess with 46" barrel, gets 1,080fps from 82gr. 2F with a tightly patched round ball. Paper ctgs. with round balls, generally develope less velocity and pressure due to some blow by.
: Apparently, Elephant powder is designed FOR muskets and shotguns, not for rifles, according to their advertizment from the Links section of this site.
: With a comercial musket, go by the manufacturer's recommendation for loading - to increase is at YOUR own risk.
: How much powder will a Bess TAKE- I don't know. Depends on how old it is, and who made the barrel. With a good Bess, you probably would stop going up due to pain from recoil, before developing enough pressure to hurt the barrel.
: Smoothbores shoot tighter groups with lower charges than they do with higher charges. This is general and was true in 1804 and is true in 2004. With that in mind, you may find 80gr. more accurate than 50, but it is unlikely. 150gr. will be less accurate than 80, generally.
: 4F or 3F can normally be used for priming. Some guys use 2F for priming when hunting so they are using the same powder horn for both jobs. others carry a priming horn or flask. The 4gr. flsk from Track is especially nice for rifles. Mine dumps 2.5gr. quite regualrly & that's perfect for my rifles and the Bess.
Daryl

All good stuff above.

3 drams/82 grains is a good all-around load for a Bess. It hits hard and increasing that load only makes more noise and burns more powder. You're more limited by the lack of sights than the remaining energy at the target with one o'them big 'ol punkin balls. It will kill anything you are likely to hit out to 75 yards.

For paper and plinkin you could get by with even less. Spend a day working up from 70 to 90 grains of FFg and see what shoots best for you.

Someting most folks don't realize when shooting shot loads in a musket; the less powder you use the tighter your pellet spread. So, if you want a narrow spread for turkey, you might be better off with 75 instead of 82 grains. This is definately worth a day spent shooting at big sheets of paper. The old rule of thumb is that if the shot penetrates a steel ('tin') can it is potent enough for hunting, so your optimum hunting load will be the least powder charge that still puts holes in the can.

The bess can handle a wide range of loads of black powder...
Loads are for .715 round ball and .020 pillow tick patch lubed with Crisco...

20 grains FFg, 341 fps.
30 grains FFg, 455 fps.
40 grains FFg, 569 fps.
50 grains FFg, 662 fps.
60 grains FFg, 754 fps.
70 grains FFg, 817 fps.
80 grains FFg, 879 fps.
90 grains FFg, 943 fps.
100 grains FFg, 1006 fps.
110 grains FFg, 1047 fps.
120 grains FFg, 1088 fps.
130 grains FFg, 1136 fps.
140 grains FFg, 1184 fps.
150 grains FFg, 1213 fps.

Great stuff guys, bear with me I am new to this. Can't wait to get some overtime to get one of these things. Have always wanted to get one but due to the lack of knowledge on the subject on my part and the fact that no one in these parts has one and the the fact that info is hard to come by I was not willing to try it. Thanks for the great info :D

I haven't been here long myself, but I see an incredible amount of experience and knowledge here. Great Site!- eh
: I found this site through a post at the sub-bore site I frequent.
Daryl

Latest posts

Back