• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How much patch lube to use ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like most folks, I've tried dozens of things. They all work, depending on the load and what the rifle wants. I think some do work better than others. My favorite for the last lustrum has been bear grease, both sides of the patch, a small extra dollop on the powder side. Love bear grease. At the range plinking, my favorite is spit. Hard to forget to bring it. ;)

I cut at the muzzle and have a lubed strip of patching material hanging from my shooting bag. I lube both sides of the strip so that it doesn’t matter which side of the strip faces up or down when loading. I use a homemade lube and put enough on the material to make it easy to load. It took a few shooting sessions to figure out how much lube I needed.

I've noticed that one side of the fabric is usually smoother and the other more textured. I load the smooth side face down so it's against the bore and the textured side gripping the ball. I haven't done any testing but have always been told to limit variables in loading for better accuracy.

Walt

I read Sam Fadala’s Black Powder Handbook when I first started this journey. In it, he advises limiting the variables while loading. I have a certain regiment that I won’t go into now, but it helps to accomplish that. Now, if I could just load the sprue straight up every time, I’d have it made!

I’ve noticed that fabric has a smooth and textured side. I always load the smoother side against the bore and the textured side wrapped around the ball. Not too long ago I had the idea that because the patch is gripping the ball, maybe I shouldn’t lube that side. Up until then, my methods were to lube the smooth side and then stack them in a prescription pill bottle. In hot weather, I’d leave it in my vehicle all day. That way it uniformly lubes the patch. When it’s cold outside, I put the bottle with the lid removed in the microwave and run it for a minute on high. I use Bumbling Bear Grease from October Country (bear grease and beeswax). I apply a coat and work it into the patch until it’s completely covered. According to Ned Roberts (“The Muzzle Loading Caplock Rifle”), bear grease is the best lube and preservative ever plus it’s period correct!

One night before a shooting match I liberally coated both sides with lube as I was in a hurry. My shots were hitting higher than normal. According to accuracy Guru, Dutch Schoultz, “too much lube and the ball hits high, too little and it hits low”.

I agree that a liquid lube keeps the bore cleaner but with my arthritic hands and wrists, greased patches load easier!

There’s my two cents and then some. The best thing to do is trial and error. Take it to the range, change only one thing at a time and see how she prints on paper. If you like experimentation, muzzleloading is the ticket!

Walt

P.S.: When building a load for hunting, I use a 9” paper plate to dial it in. That’s the approximate size of the kill zone of most big game animals in my state.

If I’m shooting with others I just use a spit patch. If I’m shooting by myself for fun or hunting or whatever I use patches prelubed with mink oil- lightly but both sides cause that’s where it ends up anyway.

I clean with patches from a tin that have been soaked in moose milk and then allowed for the majority of water to evaporate. If they are still dripping wet then I simply sandwich dry patches between and they absorb the overage. I find that the moose milk done like this will protect the bore from rust for a day or two at least. Then a good cleaning till dry patches come out clean and a patch with mink oil for storage.

Im not a competition shooter or a range rat so bear that in mind.

Last edited:
Teach you to ask a question, 30 reply's and 5 answers to your question. Just rub in enough to penetrate the patch, use another patch to wipe off any excess. You want your patches sealed against moisture from the muzzle end but yet not greasy enough to damage the charge if left loaded for weeks.

Back