• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

How much is too much.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reminds me, I need to weigh my just completed Lancaster, .54, swamped Colerain, CM4 stock, L&R classic lock. It's lighter than my Kibler colonial in .58 I'm pretty sure. Rifles get cumbersome when heavy AND long as the balance point tends to be out there, especially with a non-tapered or swamped barrel. I'm looking forward to the Kibler Woodsrunner project with the slightly shorter, swamped .54 barrel in a regular grade maple stock build. That rifle should be a very nimble setup.

Varies with barrel length AND barrel width - if a straight profile barrel, like T/C or Lyman uses, OR profile if a swamped barrel.

But to give you an idea, usually if of the SAME model and length, a 5-cal would be a good 1/2-pound or more LESS in weight that a comparable 50cal model.

The Kibler Colonial Rifle of 42" swamped barrel wighs a hefty 9.0 pounds. I had a Don Bruton 54 Boone rifle of slimmer 38" barrel that was a dream to carry, at less than 8-pounds. The weight of the Colonial Rifle is why Jim came out with the shorter and lighter 'Woods Runner' model.

As someone else offered, the school or year of model, also determines the weight. Like early rifles (the Colonial Rifle certainly being one) had much heftier and wider buttplates, so that addes overall weight. Golden Age longrifles slimmed down and are trimmer and lighter.

Correct, that’s why I build the golden age profile. It’s really no big deal. I’ll just throw her over my shoulder and hump it up the hill. It’s just my OCD personality. But you have to be a little obsessive to want to build your own rifles in the first place. Thanks for all the good info guys.

My Kibler Colonial, which I have 2 interchangeable barrels, a 50 and a 58, both with 43” swamped barrels weight in at 8.75 and 8.0 pounds respectively. Preferring the 58, the difference in weight and balance when off-hand shooting is quite noticeable.given my medium build. My buddy has a 54 Colonial which splits the difference in weight.. My 54 cal Hawken(Western Arms) with its heavy 1” by 30” straight barrel cones in a a hefty 10.5 pounds! 7.5-8.5# is my preferred weight range for hunting.

My Lancaster .50 has a swamped 42 in barrel, weighs 9lb,2 oz. My Haines .54 has a swamped 38in barrel, weighs 7lbs. 12, My GPR .50 Hawken with 32 in straight barrel, weighs 9lbs 10oz. oz., My early Yorktown 44 in. 20 gauge Fowler by Brad Emig, weighs 7lb. 10 oz.

I had a Pedersoli Mortimer. Pedersoli said it is 10.13 pounds, but mine was 10 pounds 9 ounces.
It was pretty hard to carry all day. It was a great rifle, just too heavy for walking in the woods.

Most any straight barreled gun is going to feel heavy and awkward. A rifle with a swamped barrel can be just as heavy, but will feel far lighter because all the weight is back between your hands.
I have 3 schuetzen rifles that weigh from 13.5-15 1/2 lbs. I can shoot them off hand because of their architecture and buttplate style.

Latest posts

Back