• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

How many shots can you get?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just pointing out the hypocrisy that some die-hard flintlockers have about the "superiority" of the ignition system. It's like a guy using a percussion gun constantly ridiculing fellas that shoot cartridge guns & telling them that they are helplessly dependent on loaded cartridges & they are fool's to use better technology. To each his own on what they want to shoot & use. It's all about having fun, not about "my guns better than your gun" BS. Just tired of the elitist snobbery that seems to enter threads when some flintlockers post. Basing one's choice of gun on a temporary hoarding frenzy is a fool's errand, IMHO. I haven't had all that much trouble finding caps, powder or ball. It just takes a little more searching & patience. What happens when you can't find flints? Saw some flints & caps for sale a couple days ago at an on line store. Caps were $4.99/tin & in stock. Flints were $8.99/pair & out of stock, no backorder. Flints are consumables, just like caps. Of course you could always just look on the ground, as usable flints are laying everywhere, right!!
what on line store did you find caps for sale for$4.99 a tin?

The Hudson's Bay Company At Fort Langley BC about 1860 paid 25 cents a day for casual workers . You could b
uy 25 caps or 4 flints for that money. The caps cant exceed 25 shots but flints in native hands must surely have given far more shooting .Plus at extreem cold a flint gun dosnt require removing mitts to handle caps . Hence sealing guns remained flintlock most commonly .
Having shot a rifle in 46 below once I can attest from that expierience cap placement & much else gets impossible or practicaly so . A Mr Frank Strieght of Seattle used to sell a ceramic 'Forge Fire " ' flint', I expect it was some spin off of Boeings they worked but I don't recall they exceeded flints .& flint like all minerals is very variable .as has been illustrated in the above comments . Am I therefore a flintlock snob?
Naah I like matchlocks !.
Rudyard
yes MATCH LOCKE, RULE!!

I just ordered French amber for my Bess. She does not do too badly, now - but, I would like to see if the amber is better, as most people say it is...
where can I get FRENCH AMBER flints? thanking you.

Hello from uk My 1820 Bess flints seem to last forever masses of sparks I find the L and R lock need sharp flints. So off to the south chalk downs collecting flint and watching utube Out of a big chunk of flint I got 8 good flints and three arrow heads it’s early days I getting plenty of ignition now It says a learning curve

I bid eBay uk. £196 for an 1795 English made swan neck Brown Bess acton for the Indian market to but was outbid last night. Shame might be poor quality

I just finished a shot and ball double gun
L&R locks above photo

Lockdown ending in uk stay safe

Attachments

• 2B658108-71AA-4E2E-ACE0-01C7C2E2B9BA.jpeg
    2B658108-71AA-4E2E-ACE0-01C7C2E2B9BA.jpeg
    114.6 KB · Views: 70
  • D2DDEDE1-55D7-4ED6-B1DF-E2DED4242F98.jpeg
    D2DDEDE1-55D7-4ED6-B1DF-E2DED4242F98.jpeg
    92.2 KB · Views: 70
  • B6D09101-CB4E-463D-A525-F49FC3D28526.jpeg
    B6D09101-CB4E-463D-A525-F49FC3D28526.jpeg
    64 KB · Views: 65
  • BE69FBC0-B7F5-4999-A6EC-E1CF575C655B.jpeg
    BE69FBC0-B7F5-4999-A6EC-E1CF575C655B.jpeg
    62.3 KB · Views: 79
  • C3798DDC-D13E-4BBD-8344-31D49A109997.MOV
    21.3 MB
I usually get around 20 shots before gently knapping. I also carry a spare flint with me. I buy them by the dozen from TOW every so often just to keep a supply on hand.
I do practice pressure knapping skills on used flints.

Im sure it's been said but I have had them shatter on the first shot or last for dozens. There is no way to predict.

Got a 70's era SMR Early Douglas Barrel old vic davis lock .This lock was properly tuned by someone. Took a gray english flint and got 323 firings with it. Used all four sides of the flint and both bevel up and down. Most people when knapping a flint do it like driving a railroad spike. Finess is the word of the day. Tap ever so lightly. You guys who only get 30 or so shots please send me your old flints( 7/8 or 3/4). I'll probably even pay shipping if you have 10 or more. Posted this once before. Nobody reads the early posts I guess.

I wonder if trimming the front of the top cock jaw a bit and shortening the top of the cock screw would give flint life a boost as that seemingly would expose more flint length with out cock/frizzen interference, to wear back?

I've gone all day with one flint just touching up the edge occasionally. I usually use a gray English flint but I've been trying some cheaper white chert that doesn't last as long. Bill

WOW, I would in no way pay $2.25 for one flint and $ 7.50 to ship one flint. are they real?

Veteran arms sells 5 for $11 which is roughly the same.
I think if you buy several flints it is just one payment of 7.50 shipping. Better take up knapping :confused:

Back