• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

How many shots can you get?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had them last from one that got 5 shots to a few that made it to the 100 mark (+ or -). One flint kept shooting and self knapping until I just stopped counting shots. I finally retired it when it wore so far back that the cock couldn't hold it; it was nothing more than a flake of stone. In general I get at least 25 shots before any knapping is required. After knapping it usually keeps going that long again or longer. Saying "average" really doesn't mean that much considering the wide variation in quality. But if I had to speculate I'd guess 30 to 60 shots.

My goodness! Am I hearing what I'm hearing. Flints wear out & have a limited lifespan!!!! I thought they were far superior to percussion caps from what all the flintlockers are always saying here on the forum. After all, it's just a matter of looking on the ground & picking up a flint, as they are lying everywhere for the taking. Guess you just never know when that flint is going to fail you. So do you flintlockers mean you have to carry a spare you can take the time off from shooting to knap & replace, while cap shooters just pop another cap on. Having a hard time seeing why that would be a great advantage. Two shots or 30 shots, you just never knew. Back in the day, that had to be a confidence builder when you were about to enter into harm's way.
Well, just how many shots per cap are you getting there friend? How many per tin? I can venture a guess and say 1 per cap, 100 per tin. What happens when you cant find caps, such as right now during this ammo shortage?

I’ve got a Kibler lock that’ll easily average 50+ per flint. The Pedersoli locks have been hit or miss, some providing 20 before needing attention and others making it into the 30’s.

-Jake

Typically on an Indian lock I have tuned 1-300. The lock I just did I tested counting. I did 100 test firings (no removal of residue between firings) and cleaned the locks/knapped 3 times I believe (I would have to go back and look). The flint is still sharp and there is no doubt that with proper care it won't fire another hundred at a minimum.

For a reliability test I test fire the lock 20 times without cleaning between shots. If I have to clean, knapp, or reprime its an automatic failure. It must pass with 90% or better so the worst possible passing score 20/22

After 36 firings (first misfire was on attempt 36) after cocking without repriming she fired and I took the picture. Kind of hard to believe it was still firing in this condition after 30 plus shots.
IMG_20210407_085041545.jpg

Well, just how many shots per cap are you getting there friend? How many per tin? I can venture a guess and say 1 per cap, 100 per tin. What happens when you cant find caps, such as right now during this ammo shortage?
Just pointing out the hypocrisy that some die-hard flintlockers have about the "superiority" of the ignition system. It's like a guy using a percussion gun constantly ridiculing fellas that shoot cartridge guns & telling them that they are helplessly dependent on loaded cartridges & they are fool's to use better technology. To each his own on what they want to shoot & use. It's all about having fun, not about "my guns better than your gun" BS. Just tired of the elitist snobbery that seems to enter threads when some flintlockers post. Basing one's choice of gun on a temporary hoarding frenzy is a fool's errand, IMHO. I haven't had all that much trouble finding caps, powder or ball. It just takes a little more searching & patience. What happens when you can't find flints? Saw some flints & caps for sale a couple days ago at an on line store. Caps were $4.99/tin & in stock. Flints were $8.99/pair & out of stock, no backorder. Flints are consumables, just like caps. Of course you could always just look on the ground, as usable flints are laying everywhere, right!!

I’ve got flint and percussion guns. I enjoy shooting the flint guns more, but my 1858 is one of the most accurate pistols I’ve ever owned. Sure, caps are more difficult to find right now but so are flints. And no, flint isn’t “laying on the ground” where I live so I have to purchase/trade for flint where I’m at. I also make my own caps, but dislike how corrosive they are.

-Jake

My goodness! Am I hearing what I'm hearing. Flints wear out & have a limited lifespan!!!! I thought they were far superior to percussion caps from what all the flintlockers are always saying here on the forum. After all, it's just a matter of looking on the ground & picking up a flint, as they are lying everywhere for the taking. Guess you just never know when that flint is going to fail you. So do you flintlockers mean you have to carry a spare you can take the time off from shooting to knap & replace, while cap shooters just pop another cap on. Having a hard time seeing why that would be a great advantage. Two shots or 30 shots, you just never knew. Back in the day, that had to be a confidence builder when you were about to enter into harm's way.
So you apparently don't own a well tuned flint gun ahe or you wouldn't make such posts!

The Hudson's Bay Company At Fort Langley BC about 1860 paid 25 cents a day for casual workers . You could b
uy 25 caps or 4 flints for that money. The caps cant exceed 25 shots but flints in native hands must surely have given far more shooting .Plus at extreem cold a flint gun dosnt require removing mitts to handle caps . Hence sealing guns remained flintlock most commonly .
Having shot a rifle in 46 below once I can attest from that expierience cap placement & much else gets impossible or practicaly so . A Mr Frank Strieght of Seattle used to sell a ceramic 'Forge Fire " ' flint', I expect it was some spin off of Boeings they worked but I don't recall they exceeded flints .& flint like all minerals is very variable .as has been illustrated in the above comments . Am I therefore a flintlock snob?
Naah I like matchlocks !.
Rudyard

The flint system of ignition has been in use for much longer than any other ignition system in history. But humans are prone to try to reinvent the wheel, never being satisfied with what they have that works. I have seen flintlocks fire during a downpour of rain, while caplocks failed.

I have another lock I am tuning here in the next few days. It is from military heritage, I will give results on pre testing and after

The flint system of ignition has been in use for much longer than any other ignition system in history. But humans are prone to try to reinvent the wheel, never being satisfied with what they have that works. I have seen flintlocks fire during a downpour of rain, while caplocks failed.
True, but when caps did enter the fray - 90+% of all flint guns were converted to caps - and likely closer to 100% for military issued guns.
For me? I own and enjoy several guns of each and enjoy shooting whatever I pick out for the days outing. Sometimes that involves a day out with a suppository gun or a gonne style which uses neither.. One on my favorites list uses air,,,,
It's not a contest as to which is the witch...... It's perfectly acceptable to have EVERY kind of gun you like.

For myself , I shoot for the fun and challenge , flint or percussion no difference . If I have what I need. I used to keep
records for firearms, training, no more I don't care how many shots I get from a flint ; change when I have too I don't
care what the next guys number of shots are, flints are all different as are the guns that use them. At my age I don't
care what your guns look like how much you paid for them , built them or bought them. I shoot because I want and like to quality or numbers don't mean nothing to me. Hope this rambling makes sense.
gunny

Have both, will shoot. I find flintlocks more interesting but also have treasured caplocks that get shot from time to time. For years I've hunted exclusively with flintlocks but my cap guns have taken many deer and much small game, too. I tend toward flint because the era that interests me the most was well before the percussion cap came around. Colonial/early American years are my fascination.

Typically on an Indian lock I have tuned 1-300. The lock I just did I tested counting. I did 100 test firings (no removal of residue between firings) and cleaned the locks/knapped 3 times I believe (I would have to go back and look). The flint is still sharp and there is no doubt that with proper care it won't fire another hundred at a minimum.

For a reliability test I test fire the lock 20 times without cleaning between shots. If I have to clean, knapp, or reprime its an automatic failure. It must pass with 90% or better so the worst possible passing score 20/22

After 36 firings (first misfire was on attempt 36) after cocking without repriming she fired and I took the picture. Kind of hard to believe it was still firing in this condition after 30 plus shots.
View attachment 75156
I be leave that INDIAN LOCKS all have a very powerful main spring that destroys a flint? at least my INDIAN, CHARLIVILLE , BROWN BESS & BLUNDER BUSS, break a lot of flints before they ever get dull.

Latest posts

Back