• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

How many shots can you get?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before I turned my GPR I was lucky to get 10 to 15 shots, after I tuned it I have shot the flint to a nub. I have also had a few shatter in just two shots.

Comforting to hear a Davis Mould & Gun shop lock impouves with use. I've just stocked one up and it hasn't been as good as ide hoped but it was one of his early ones with a North Star mark internally & on special at an Eastern Rvous 20 odd years ago ..These getting a lot of shots per flint is rather contrary to my own experience . And putting out 4 shots a minet is a party piece not expected of the ranks . Of course I was only at the Reenacted Waterloo not the original but the three rounds seem closer to the actual expectations .No' Ranger ram 'or ' Sharpes ' films for 'Evidence' . I was camped with the 95th at Waterloo 1995 with the historical adviser & Armourer to the Sharpe's Series . I once put out 12 rounds in 3 minets live ball & correct use of rammer ' by the book' you could say but that's a' party piece ' or I would describe it so. r
Rudyard

I for some reason, have never had a gun that has a "shot limit". In both my fowler and rifle, I can shoot repeatedly without swabbing the bore. I have had range sessions of upwards of 15 shots, and have never had a problem loading. I know this is counter to what a lot of people experience, and I have no explanation for it. I do generally pick the touch hole after every shot or so. This isn't always necessary, but I figure it can't hurt and it takes two seconds to do.

I'm new to black powder and just learning my flintlock but I've always been one who wants to use consumables all up, no waste. I'm presently on my third flint and got 89 shots out of it. I think it's about done as it's too short now to move forward enough to contact the frizzen properly. I got 64 shots from my first flint and 58 from the second. I think I'm starting to understand the knapping process. All the tinkering these guns require is a large part of the fun of shooting them to me.

Back