• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

How many shoot bp only?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I now own 7 black powder firearms (5 percussion and 2 flintlocks). I have more modern guns. I like them all. I guess my shooting is about 70% modern and 30% black powder.

I'm very new to BP but I've owned guns since I was 18, shot my dad's before that, I'm 71 now. I never new what I was missing. Can't wait until I can afford to purchase a good flintlock and try that. But I will keep my non-BP guns and continue to shoot them but for now I'm just having too much fun shooting BP.

I enjoy them all. So many guns so little time.....

I do almost exclusively hunt with BP though, which has as much to do with the challenge as it does with the method.

They aren't real fun in three gun or Highpower shoots though.

BP in my muzzleloaders about 95% But shoot BP cartridge in 45-90 and 38-55 and 20 gauge hammered coach gun. Wife and I shoot modern O/U shotguns for Sporting clays.

Mostly BP, will shoot unmentionable when I hunt elk or varmits. BP is so much more satisfying and at times more frustrating. Gotta love it!

I haven't shot BP yet in any form. I'm about to do so soon. I have a hunch BP may become my main interest for a long time to come.
If you're going to go the flinter route, it's about the only way to go. Percussion and you have more leeway. Before going the Pyrodex route, read the good and the bad sides. Watch out for crud rings using Triple-7. It can lead to a gap between the powder and the projectile (aka pipe bomb). Got to be on your toes. Get some help from people who have real world experience. This is a pretty good place to begin to learn.

Who has given up metallic cartridges and now shoot only bp.Thinking of going that route.Want to here what others are doing.
I no longer shoot anything but BP guns. Went that route over a year ago.
Metallic ammunition loaded with smokeless powder is too precious a commodity to burn up for sport. I have not fired any of my CCW guns for a year, and may not fire them for several more years. A month ago I bought several boxes of all-brass shotgun shells for my 16 gauge J. P. Sauer double hammer gun that I will make my own wads for and load with BP.
I havea good supply of BP,’primers, shot, wads, punches, and several flintlock rifles and smooth bores, and percussion revolvers that will do almost anything I will ever need a gun for.
The ammo situation will only get moderately better, at best. Could get worse.
Welcome to the New Normal.
The day may come soon where a person could trade a few cases of 9mm Ball for a new or low-mileage pickup; or a good whole-house generator for 1 case.

I wonder if anyone has calculated the retail value of ammunition per ounce?
I would estimate it would be over $20 an ounce, except possible shotgun shells loaded with bird shot, which might be only $2 to $4 an ounce.

Last edited:
For me shots fired per year would certainly lean more towards modern arms, however time spent shooting, hunting, cleaning, maintaining and tinkering would certainly lean more towards black powder. I'm on the downhill slide to retirement, there will always be some modern arms, black powder cartridge rifles and muzzleloaders in my safe. Last year I hunted exclusively with a flintlock and plan to do the same this year, the good Lord willing my eye sight and my health stays with me...it will be that way for a long...long time!

I have found that too many Americans are worshiping the right and the tool instead of the Creator who gave us the right to have these tools so I stay away from all of them as much as possible but I do keep in contact with my freedom with a few select tools and I have no need or want for more than what is needed to express thanks for this right. All I have is bp right now and some nice survival bowies by Blackjack and Bark River.

I shoot 70% unmentionables, 10% air guns and about 20 BP.
I have considered selling all of my unmentionable rifles and just keeping pistols.
I enjoy each for what they bring to the table.
Variety is the spice of life.

Latest posts

Back