• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

How many shoot bp only?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been hunting with bows and muzzleloaders of my own making since I can't remember when, initially it was to make myself a better hunter by using more challenging gear, and also for the satisfaction that comes from a success while using all the tools I had hand fashioned. About twenty five years ago I joined a gun club because they have a two hundred yard range and I love lobbing those fat round balls to distance. Being retired I would go mostly weekday mornings thinking I would have the place to myself. To my surprise there were quite a few young guys coming and going, they were from one of the local Tech collages. They all had AR's and would often offer up a chance to run a mag through them and one day I took one of them up on the offer. Well, I emptied that gun in no time, and thought, that's a half a mornings shooting with my muzzleloader and just stood there. Now I'm pretty open minded about these things and allowed my inner self to tell me exactly what I truly felt about the experience, and myself says to me, you know Robby, those are every bit as much fun to shoot today as they were, well, fifty years ago now, even if they don't have that rock'n roll switch! So I got back into it and even took up reloading.
In all that time, not one of those young fellows took me up on my offer to shoot one of my flintlocks, oh they really admired the guns and asked a ton of very thoughtful questions, but had no interest in actually firing one.
Its' all good, and God bless America.
Robby

If it launches a projectile, I'm interested in it, whether modern gun, ML, airgun, bow, crossbow, slingshot, atlatl, or whatever. I think I may have a problem...😄 I actually do shoot MLs more often than unmentionables nowadays, but I still love them all.

Here in UK I shoot everything I can, as often as I can, in the sure and certain knowledge that one day it will all end. I have a selection of guns to choose from, but find that my BP guns are the most challenging to get right.

I have my cartridge rifles , keep em clean and stored ! Haven't hunted with them in years , as i thoroughly enjoy B/P hunting ! Never feel under-gunned with a trusted B/P rifle / shotgun in my hands . Enjoy the journey !!

Who has given up metallic cartridges and now shoot only bp.Thinking of going that route.Want to here what others are doing.
Originally I got rid of most of my modern cartridge guns for old west type arms with only a dabble of black powder. Even for hunting I used replicas only but got one muzzleloader. After some experimenting with a few BP subs, I overcame my fears of traditional black powder and began adding more muzzleloaders and cap and ball revolvers with every sale of my cartridge guns. After my first semi-custom rifle my conversation to BP was pretty much complete, even when bird hunting. I have kept several "modern" guns like my dad's JC Higgins pump 12 gauge, my great grandfather's 1910 model .22 and a Bird's head revolver but I haven't touched those off in over a decade. I shot numerous deer and hogs with a modern levergun with telescopic sights but I decided that I wanted to actually hunt instead. Black powder and lead, that's it.

I have to shoot cartridge guns for work, but I shoot black powder for pleasure. I'm a little flexible though: I have a trapdoor rifle and black powder cartridges, but haven't shot it yet.

I carried and qualified with modern arms during the 23 years I was a LEO, but I also carried a 1897 pump gun and a 1917 S&W 45 as a backup gun. I just like the old ones.

Eterry........You're afraid of something that doesn't exist. Fear makes you prepare anyway.

The subject is, "How many shoot bp only?"

If all you can do is to talk about modern cartridge guns in this thread then don't be surprised when your post vanishes.
This is a traditional muzzleloading forum so let's keep talk about modern guns our of our comments.

Back