• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

How many shoot bp only?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
half and half for me, although I do find myself firing my unmentionables (especially belt-feds) less and less now because my overall ammo stash is down to only ~300,000 now (and cost-prohibitive to replenish at contemporary pricing levels)

Been shootin more BP since Smokeless Components are scarce a over inflatted

It’s not that I *won’t* shoot modern stuff, but the year after we bought our house the county banned centerfire rifles for deer hunting, and I would rather use my BP rifles than a cf shotgun.
Jay

Unmentionables... Now that's funny...

I have plenty of those and the ammo to go with it. Been stocking up for years. No way I ever give up cartridge rifles or unmentionables... I'm an equal opportunity shooter. I don't hunt but shoot as often as I can. I really like my BP guns (flinters) that I have but they just don't measure up for what is on the horizon.

Now that I live in a state that only allows "straight wall" calibers for deer hunting where I live, my unmentionionables sit idly in the safe most of the time. I do own a straight-wall modern too, and I carried it one day last year, but it's just not the same as the flintlock. I absolutely love carrying my flinter or crossbow in the woods now, but I'm kinda "meh" on the modern stuff nowadays. If I lived or traveled out west where ethical shots were much longer, then I'd get excited about moderns again.

Now that I live in a state that only allows "straight wall" calibers for deer hunting where I live, my unmentionionables sit idly in the safe most of the time. I do own a straight-wall modern too, and I carried it one day last year, but it's just not the same as the flintlock. I absolutely love carrying my flinter or crossbow in the woods now, but I'm kinda "meh" on the modern stuff nowadays. If I lived or traveled out west where ethical shots were much longer, then I'd get excited about moderns again.

I wish we could do that too. I'd love to hunt bear with a 45/70 loaded with BP.

My gun is just for hunting and BP is way more fun and rewarding for that. I'm not scared and don't need a back up gun or protection from the boogie man.
I like shooting my flints more than any other guns BUT. Although I am about to turn 76 yr old, I fully expect to see legions of boogie men scouring the land before I pass. It ain’t gonna be just “ A “boogie man. Keep your powder dry, and lotsa brass loaded.🇺🇸🦅

I look at it a little more pragmatically. Suppository guns are tools. I have and use tools to get a job done in the most efficient manner. BP guns are more about a lifestyle choice. Experience and knowledge of both makes you better at both, and appreciative of both.

I think Col. Batguano made a good point when he mentioned "tools". A pretty fair handyman doesn't limit himself to only sort of tool. Differant tools for differant jobs!

I shoot all sorts of firearms, enjoy all shooting. Lately I've been shooting my moms varmink rifle.

BP 95% of the time for the last 40 years. BP in my 45/70, trap double SXS 12 gauge, duck with a Berretta over under (makes a good challenge), and the all my muzzle loaders and cap and ball revolvers. Slow and fun, I watch the cartage shooter come to the range and go through 100 rounds in an hour or less and I'm still working on my 20 to 25 daily rounds. Do it and you will be in the moment as loading and shooting devours your concentration. Where did those two hours go. steg49

BP only ... but my wife has a modern revolver that just stays on a shelf in the computer room. Last time I shot an unmentionable was about `1975. In Idaho I was a bit out of step, even with my kids and friends, but never missed them ugly tools. Polecat

Back