• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

How many shoot bp only?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't look at shooting & enjoying my firearms from a one & not the other perspective. I like to shoot the unmentionables & enjoy what they offer from plinking to long range targets to hunting. I tend to shoot my BP guns by myself & find it more relaxing & satisfying. I also find that the older I get the more BP I shoot.

All around shooter I enjoy the BP shooting and hunting, also the unmentionables, but always looking to expand knowledge and skills with all of them, The historical side of BP is a major draw for me, being a old Marine I am still drawn too the cartridge weapons especially for 600 yards and beyond. Choot em, Choot em all and often, keep your skills sharp no matter what weapon you shoot.

Thought I would try the fancy stuff back in the 70"s. Didn't take long to retreat to black powder. I contribute my sliding into the fancy stuff to the U.S. Army, but they bought all the ammo. Most of my shooting is up to 100/150 yards. The fancy fire power has it's place, but not so much in my shooting habits, well, not as of yet, anyway. 🎯

All around shooter I enjoy the BP shooting and hunting, also the unmentionables, but always looking to expand knowledge and skills with all of them, The historical side of BP is a major draw for me, being a old Marine I am still drawn too the cartridge weapons especially for 600 yards and beyond. Choot em, Choot em all and often, keep your skills sharp no matter what weapon you shoot.
Golf Co.2/9 3rd Mar.Div.70-72
Hell in a helmet.

I shoot both styles. I shoot one type when I want to go our further and faster. The other when I need to slow down. They both have a place in my life. We live in the 21st century, but i like the history of previous centuries.

I wouldn’t say ONLY, but MOSTLY. I am down to just a few modern guns and I only shoot them enough to stay proficient. All of my recreational shooting, competitions, hunting, etc. is now done with BP.

Who has given up metallic cartridges and now shoot only bp. Thinking of going that route. Want to here what others are doing.

Well I'm required to shoot modern stuff for my job. Because of today's "climate", I was shooting more than the minimum, to keep up my skills. BUT since the ammo has dried up and since components for reloading have done so too..., my job related shooting has been highly curtailed.

So I do shoot mostly black powder overall, and black powder only for recreation, and I hunt only with black powder.

Because of the price per pound where I live (and now the Lack of BP due to COVID), myself and several others pool our ordering, so that the hazmat fee and shipping only add about $1.50 per pound or even less...., when we can get it.

I also shoot a lot of blanks for living history stuff, and a good weekend I will burn a pound of powder (70 rounds) So bulk ordering of 10 lbs. or more is the only way to go.

Graf & Sons brand BP is now made by GOEX, so as the man says,...,

PHIL ROBERTSON.JPG

LD

I am like some of the others that have posted on this thread. I do 99% of my hunting with BP guns, the other 1% is with metallic handguns. My metallic rifles and shotguns have been collecting dust in the safe for the past 10 years or so. I keep them as I do enjoy single shots and reloading and my self protection guns.

I do it all. I find black powder more challenging and since none of my rifles have the cheat of a scope, I find that the skills I build shooting BP transfer very nicely to shooting modern stuff. Spend the summer shooting open sights muzzleloaders at 100 yards and when you pick up a scoped modern thingy it is so easy to hit stuff at hundreds of yards that it feels like cheating. Not that I am picky when it comes to meat in he freezer...

Who has given up metallic cartridges and now shoot only bp.Thinking of going that route.Want to here what others are doing.

You say this like bp vs. metallic cartridges is an" either-or" choice. It is not.

All my metallic cartridge rifle shooting is bp, except .22s (which could be).

A lot of you guys are missing a heck of a lot of fun and interesting history.

Time and money. I love my .22’s, but the price for ammo is a lot to swallow even before these COVID prices. I enjoy everything that’s involved with bp shooting, so that’s typically where I spend whatever free time I get.

Latest posts

Back