• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

How many ram rods?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a nice rod for each rifle that is for loading only while hunting. And then cleaning rods and Range only rods. I also have at least one extra Hickory rods for each gun. Six guns 25 rods. ICome across new TC rods for Seneca and Cherokee rifles occasionally and buy them if price is right.

More than 12.

I learned the hard way that most ramrods that come with black powder rifles are, at best, decorations. So I have a a solid 1-piece ramrod for every rifle. I keep the rod stored in the barrel, with a few inches sticking out. With a cleaning jag screwed on one end, and a "T" handle on the other, I have a rod that will not be banging my knuckles.

A dozen muzzleloaders, 13 ramrods. A longer, and slightly heavier one for range work. I do make it a point to carefully inspect a new rifles rod for finish, integrity, pinning, etc. I’m primarily a hunter, and never had one break in the field. My only broken rod occurred years ago which was the result of the ramrod resting directly on a peg while hung on the wall. The ramrod snapped at that point where the wood had been compressed/weakened over time. Lesson learned!

A dozen muzzleloaders, 13 ramrods. A longer, and slightly heavier one for range work. I do make it a point to carefully inspect a new rifles rod for finish, integrity, pinning, etc. I’m primarily a hunter, and never had one break in the field. My only broken rod occurred years ago which was the result of the ramrod resting directly on a peg while hung on the wall. The ramrod snapped at that point where the wood had been compressed/weakened over time. Lesson learned!
That’s a good lesson learned. I’d never thought of that.

i have at least 1 extra for every rifle shotgun and the 1 pistol i own as for hunting i always buy synthetic all of my wood ramrods are in a corner waiting there turn

This thread gives me vindication, I thought I was nuts. I have 64 ramrods with 16 in the corner of my safe. Some I’m making up others are just extras for some of my guns and I even have new T/C and CVS ones in the packages for emergency. 🤪

Back