• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How many ram rods?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 49399

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I made a new ram rod for one of my rifles because I didn’t like the one that came with it. Then I counted and found out I have 12 extra ram rods, some homemade, some store bought. That number does not include ram rods on the guns, blanks and a couple of range rods. Somehow I always seem to collect multiples of everything muzzleloader related.

Not being nosy, just curious, what’s your ram rod count?

I think it was common practice to carry a spare in the rifle barrel, back in the day:

Charles Deas - Long Jack.png

Kurz - Bellange 9.7.1851.jpg

Deas - Trapper & Family (2).jpg

I think it was customary for people heading west to stop at one of the last hickory groves in Kansas and cut some wood for ramrods. Several of the chroniclers described this. It was smart to carry a spare, and any extras could be sold out west for a good price.

You can never have too many ramrods.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

When I order a new rifle, I request 6 spare ram rods to match. That should be a lifetime supply. Then I have an aluminum or brass range rod dedicated to each rifle. So I have about fifty ram rods in stock. Some long, some short, some heavy, some light, some brass tipped, some steel tipped. Some (range rods) are double ended, with a ball puller at one end and a load/clean jag at the other. Or a scraper at one end and a patch puller at the other. How many short starters? Let's not go there!

ADK Bigfoot

When I order a new rifle, I request 6 spare ram rods to match. That should be a lifetime supply. Then I have an aluminum or brass range rod dedicated to each rifle. So I have about fifty ram rods in stock. Some long, some short, some heavy, some light, some brass tipped, some steel tipped. Some (range rods) are double ended, with a ball puller at one end and a load/clean jag at the other. Or a scraper at one end and a patch puller at the other. How many short starters? Let's not go there!

ADK Bigfoot
Holy Moly!

I made a new ram rod for one of my rifles because I didn’t like the one that came with it. Then I counted and found out I have 12 extra ram rods, some homemade, some store bought. That number does not include ram rods on the guns, blanks and a couple of range rods. Somehow I always seem to collect multiples of everything muzzleloader related.

Not being nosy, just curious, what’s your ram rod count?
Each rifle or my shotgun have their own RR. I have 5 extra range rods for various calibers. I don't hunt so the range rods are usually the only ones I use.
Larry

Impossible to have too many. Quite possible to not have the right one needed at any given time. Many times the factory rod is not sturdy, prone to breakage, or too short to be used in the woods. Shipping charges are stupid high for one ramrod (also for jags, tips, etc.) I buy 'em long, make ball starters out of left-over pieces.

As stated earlier, the .50 BMG rod has saved my bacon many times. One-piece rods rule. Trying to get the front-end of a stuck, broken off 3-piece rod out of a M/L rifle will make a preacher cuss. Trying to remember what gun a factory rod came from 30 years later is also why I have an assortment - guns are long gone but the rods remain and, apparently breed and multiply. Then there are these screws ........!!

Back