• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

How many grains per pound?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salty_Possum

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi folks, newbie here

How many grains of BP are in a one pound can? I'm looking at Goex FFG. I'm getting my muzzleloading gear so I can go shooting after this mini ice age is over, and I'm trying to figure out how much I should buy. I'm thinking of taking whatever the total grains are per pound / my expected load for my rifle = how many shots I'll roughly get per can. That will tell me how much I should get.

Keep in mind your 75 grain (or whatever) powder measure is a volume measurement and may or may not weigh 75 grains.

Stumpkiller said:
Not mine. I weigh out the charges and make the measures to hold that volume. ;-)

Good plan Stan. That is actually the way it is supposed to work.

7000 grains to the pound is also why a .32 is much less expensive to shoot. You get 300 to 350 rounds per pound rather than 90.

Back