• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How Many Caps?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musketman

Passed On
Reaction score
How many caps do you use in a year? (counting dropped caps and misfires, ect.)

100?
500?
1000?
More? :winking:

_perc.jpg

Give a rough sum of your cap usuage...

Lately, none. I haven't fired the 1860 revolver or .69 Rifle for a number of years, only the .45 Flinter.
: When I was shooting regularly, the # would be close to 50 to 100 tins/year for 5,000 to 10,000 rounds a year in BP. During the 70's and 80's, that's all I shot except for the modern position, match rifles. Call the modern's primers, CAPS & increase that number by another 5,000 minimum per year.

I used just under 800 #11 RWS Caps last year. This count also includes my wife and two kids shooting which was probably in the neighborhood of 200 caps. I might add that my records indicate I shot my flintlocks 380 shots for score... I guess if I didn't shoot the flintlocks I'd probably use about 1000 caps per year, myself... When I was younger and lived in Ohio, I shot about 2000 rounds per year on average from my percussion rifles at the club I belonged to; Shawnee Long Rifles, (best club I ever had the pleasure of belonging to)... :)

Shoot mostly flint, but still use two tins of caps a year, maybe three...shotgun and Ruger Old Army...Hank

Since switching to flintlocks, less than 100 caps a year for the past 3 years...only taken a percussion rifle to the range about once a year to remember what they were like...plus a couple afternoons trying for doves with a used .12ga Navy Arms SxS percussion I picked up last year.

Otherwise I don't think I've shot a percussion since March 2003 when I tried out a little TC .56cal smoothbore barrel I ran across back then...so I need to blow the cobwebs out of a percussion rifle this summer and pop some caps again

How many caps do you use in a year? (counting dropped caps and misfires, ect.)

500 fired...500 dropped. I have been craving a flintlock more and more. I have a kentucky traditions caplock and now I see they make a flintlock. :redface:

I think it was 3 last year. One blew off in the boat, I think I left one at a resturant and the one I'm wearing now.
Yep 3.
No Powder :shocking: ::

Since December of last year, I have gone through over 400 209 primers with the in lines, and I am on the fifth tin of CCI #11 Magnums.

Perhaps a different twist on this question so the flinters have to own up is, how many pounds of powder, be it black powder, pyrodex, triple se7en, what ever... have you used this year and how many do you average in a year that you shoot?

Since December of last year I have shot through 8 pounds, and now I have 17 more pounds to go before I have to reorder.

Dustin and I used bout' 600 CCI mag #11, there's only 3 tins left in the case,,
"some of us still hafta work ya know!"

I'm just now really getting into shooting sidelocks but since January I have gone through 300 plus #11 caps and I guess about four pounds of Pyrodex.
My inline hasn't left the safe since December and may never leave it again ::
BTW, I just got my hands on my first real black powder and shot it today.
I think once my Pyrodex runs out I may never buy it again ::

Huntin

I am on target to shoot 940 209 primers (all CCI) and 1120 #11 caps (switched to RWS 1075s).... a closeout sale at Sports Authority Store for 99 cents a tin. I bought their last several tins.

I don't think I'll ever burn another musket cap & I have plenty in my ML tackle boxes. They won't stay on the nipple while the hammer is at 1/2 cock. They are far-too-dangerous & sensitive to very slowly/very gently close the hammer on a live one. I'm about to throw them & the nipples away.

I liked the post about the "baseball" caps.... got a chuckle from me!

I do not buy pyrodex anymore, either. Black powder seems to be easier to clean with soap and water

I use about 200 a week......maybe more......I bought #10 Italian for $15 a 1000.......bought 5000......close out wish he had more......I wish I could find some Ruger/Uncle Mike Nipples that are #10 for my Old Armys.....john......

I think it was 3 last year. One blew off in the boat, I think I left one at a resturant and the one I'm wearing now.
Yep 3.
No Powder :shocking: ::
Bawwwwwwwwwww-hawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww-harrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :haha: :haha:
LOVE IT!
I fixin' ta shoot maw Jeager soon, but cain't figure where ta put tha cap????? :bull:

I seem to snap off or drop/loose/deform about three caps for every one that actually gets to light off a powder charge. No wonder I'm going through at least a tin a month...

"The pickelhaube cap goes on yore head, dumkapf !"

Well, I really prefer a good old baseball cap to the authentic German type.
Those little sparks from the pan seem to like my balding forehead. That of course gives my subconscious mind just another thing (besides the flash in the pan) to rag me about as I'm touching off a round.
Of course you can't be a gang member (or a catcher) and wear it backwards, or the sparks will have their way with you.

How many caps do I go thru? Well after giving up the Long Necks, very few. Even with the long necks, I usually didn't "go thru" them as I found just using an opener worked a lot better. :: :: :: :: ::

Back