• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How long without cleaning?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jake, my current use rifle was a major expense (even though I think i got a great bargain) which I'm unlikely to ever replace, so I re-clean & natter over it un-repentantly. If I can't get out to shoot, I get my guns out and go through them, tuning, checking that they are clean, re-oiling, & polishing. They are my treasured tools, toys and friends. (Probably one reason I have fewer animate friends...) After shooting, I never go to sleep w/out tending to whichever friend(s) I've had out.
Perfect maintenance for a valued tool.

BP is corrosive, need anymore be said. One or one hundred shot ls leaves that stuff doing unhelpful things to the metal in that barrel. I always field clean, then through clean when home and preserve for the next day out.

I swab the barrel at the range when I'm done and then bring it home and take it apart and go nuts. Occasionally I take it out and swab everything just to keep an eye on things. I swab the barrel between shots anyway. I consider it part of the shot.
I usually have a very similar approach. It really depends on where I am and how much time I have, how hot it is outside, etc. I'm experimenting with new lube recipes in an effort to find something that'll work well on a woods walk and won't require the swab between each shot. Currently using the Dutch method, which works just fine on the target range.

Well. my suggestion won't work for you. I was going to say to use your patch lube in your bore when storing it. That way nothing runs into the breech channel and it's not necessary to get it all out before shooting the gun.

Obviously, that won't apply to spit. Not what i'd call a lube. It will dry while hunting and you don't have any lube at all. It's your choice. I'll stay with my bear tallow.

One word about spit patching for hunting I’m sure Eterry would’ve passed along if y’all had gotten into it a bit more. If you're going to use a spit patch for hunting make sure your bore has got a bit of lube in it. The patch’ll be dry as a bone in no time at all. I may leave my deer rifle loaded for up to a week during the season if I’m getting out every morning and for that you need a good greasy lube.

and yea, the baccy is a mess. I’m always running down half dozen chunks of Copenhagen each load when I spittle the patches.

Last edited:
Been hanging around my family's farm in South Carolina, and have been shooting off and on with my fowler throughout the day. Is this ok? If it goes several hours between shots/cleanings? I always clean the night after use of course. I am worried about rust and such. -Larry
In the 19th century with corrosive percussion caps, you would certainly clean the gun by the end of the day. Now a days with genuine black and modern day caps, a day or two won't matter, in dry weather certainly. I used to be a bit slack as a young bloke and leave my PH Navy rifle for a few days, there is no sign of pitting or discolouration in the bore today.

I just shot my two rifles the other day. Let em go for 3 days before I cleaned em. Just ran a moosemilk patch down the bores at the range before heading home. No rust what so ever. Of course I was shooting Alliant Black MZ which I have found to be MUSH less corrosive than BP. Sad they don't make it anymore.

I just shot my two rifles the other day. Let em go for 3 days before I cleaned em. Just ran a moosemilk patch down the bores at the range before heading home. No rust what so ever. Of course I was shooting Alliant Black MZ which I have found to be MUSH less corrosive than BP. Sad they don't make it anymore.
Tried the Alliant Black MZ a while back and initially it worked pretty good in cap locks. Unfortunately it clumped up like my wife’s cat’s kitty litter because of the humidity around here. Found it difficult to meter and had a lot of variation with how it performed once the container was opened. Even with desiccant packs in the container, it performed just a bit better than charcoal once the container was opened and resealed, at least in my experience.

If you listen to the lyrics of the song by Chris Ledoux “Copen Hafen” it says it’s good for all sorts of stuff. He didn’t mention file cleaning?

I used my double 12g yesterday.
Never cleaned until this morning.
I would of left it longer but it ended up convenient this morning.
The gun is stored and shot covered in beeswax and olive oil grease.
It was shot yesterday with grease cookies every shot by loading a card, a blob of wonderlube ( not recommended but is there now) and more cards.

No rusting at all. Another reason I would never spit patch or that nonsense dry lubricating thingy folk speak of!

Latest posts

Back