• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How long without cleaning?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most will agree that BP residue is corrosive and that therefore waiting too long can result in corrosion. The only thing ‘too soon’ can do is cut your shooting session short. I’m for as soon as possible, and always cleaning same day keeps me disciplined. Better safe, as they say.

I think not cleaning at all probably the fastest way. It is most likely why many originals never survived.
My methods are probably not what some others might like but my guns are cleaned and free of damaging neglect. I have had to compromise on materials used but keeping function required it.
LBL

I did say "just about the fastest" , smokeless would get the job done quicker if one is so inclined.
However, I would say poor cleaning has ruined more guns . :)
Agree with poor cleaning ruining more guns comment. Just takes longer than smokeless. Plus smokeless is more efficient destroying guns not designed for smokeless. You have to agree it to be the fastest.

No doubt it's faster, but the "fastest" might be arguable. Leaving it lean up against your truck bumper and forgetting about it when you leave might be quicker. ;)
I’m talking from the time your brain tells your finger to pull the trigger until barrel is ruined...... Don’t often hear about ruining barrels with blackpowder until after the shot had been taken and the barrel is ignored. After the trigger is pulled it takes time with blackpowder to ruin a barrel.

I’m talking from the time your brain tells your finger to pull the trigger until barrel is ruined...... Don’t often hear about ruining barrels with blackpowder until after the shot had been taken and the barrel is ignored. After the trigger is pulled it takes time with blackpowder to ruin a barrel.

OK then.

Back