• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How Long Have You Been Hunting ...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For an American to possess a gun in Mexico. without a hunting permit and reservations with a guide, is a quick trip to an awful Jail. I could relate some stories … but I love Mexico and the Mexican people [except for cartels and a few bad-apple cops]. Dale
Dale the folks that are buying these handguns could care less about the law down there. They are getting guns for their famlies to protect themselves from the cartels and a few bad-apple cops. I use to know guys back east (PA and NY) that always carried some kind of a weapon and were not afraid to use it. Several had prison records (not allowed to have firearms) that didn't matter to them ....

.I

Started at age 12, so 58 years in and counting. ducks, geese, turkeys and deer. I have to be more careful at my age . Grandpa told me as you age use your head more than brawn, or learn to do that the hard way.

In my case, I'm not exactly sure? Not long after I learned to walk, though, as Dad took us squirrel hunting (and later more game) from that time forward. Dad and Mom couldn't afford kids and dogs, so we kids were hunting dogs for our first few years, though I did my first rifle shooting with a .22 rifle rested on Dad's shoulder at age 4.

Dad always wanted to hunt Black Tail Deer out West, though we never got around to doing it as we kids could not afford it. What we did not know was Dad could easily have afforded it in his retirement years, but he just never did it.

Before he passed, Dad started his oldest Great Grand Son hunting and lived to see him take his first few deer.

Medical problems from my years in the Marine Corps have caught up with me, so I haven't hunted recently, but have not given up on the idea. So in my case, make it at least 63 years and hopefully more counting.

Gus

Started when I was 11, now 74, so 63 years. 2019 in October, fell 10 feet out of a deer stand, landing on my back. This past October, had open-heart surgery. (Oct seems to NOT be my month. Wife wants me to give it up now. We'll see. Seem to be recovering pretty well. let's see what happens after I finally get my Kibler kit; .45 SMR that I ordered in June. Would still like to take a deer with it. Have been fortunate enough to have hunted in Korea, Japan, and England courtesy of the US Military.

Well i thank i was 5 when dad took me squirrel hunting. Im going on 60 now due to heart problems. Iv got where can't climb this mtn anymore go Michigan bird hunt. I love deer hunting wish i had a place where it was flat.

Dale the folks that are buying these handguns could care less about the law down there. They are getting guns for their famlies to protect themselves from the cartels and a few bad-apple cops. I use to know guys back east (PA and NY) that always carried some kind of a weapon and were not afraid to use it. Several had prison records (not allowed to have firearms) that didn't matter to them ....

.I

The most important right is that of self defense. It is the laws of Mexico that empower the cartels....the people should rise up and correct that situation.

Once a person had been deemed safe enough to be out of prison, they are safe enough to exercise all of their rights. If they weren't, they should not have been let loose.

I keep wanting to go hunting again, but I'm just so busy these days. From October into December of last year I was busy working for a guy. Hopefully next fall I can again do some hunting

I got my first smooth-bore in 1960 at age 10, so I've been at it for 60 years. Borrowed a cousin's original .32 percussion and hunted with it through the 70's and got hooked on muzzleloaders. Passed on a few does with a flintlock this year because I had already taken one during Pennsylvania's regular rifle season (with a rolling block built in 1884). I have been blessed to be able to hunt with my children and grandchildren and will continue to do so as long as I can crawl out there.

I started like several at the heels of a GGreat grandfather who was a Civil War vet, my grandfather a WW-1 vet, and the Ole man WW-2 and Korea, Vietnam hadn't started up good yet, he went over in 64' and again in 68-72, I went in 68-71, any way just background all where farmed raised , I was 6 years old the first time I was sent out to ward the barn, to jump some rabbits for a meal, by the time I was 12, any time we were on the farm I carried the 22 pistol and 410 shotgun,animals of opportunity, and those that needed to leave my sisters and I alone. hunted up till 2015 and the first chest cracking for the heart. no more, not allowed to go by myself, the "BOSS" has spoken:confused:. I was blessed to have hunted and chased and being chased from wild cattle to crocs, to a deer that scarred me when young because it has fangs and barks, monkeys galore and snakes, and deer of all kind. I still enjoy reading of others adventures and dream of mine

SUBJECT: How Long Have You Been Hunting ...

For me with health condition and the desire to give a 100% effort i had to stop. Didn't like admitting this but when it's time it's time. Now I go with the young guys and play camp cook, still buy a license for the season, have had some nice animals come through camp getting spooked from near by. Fun stuff and I like to hear some of the stories the kids come back with.

View attachment 61253
Had some really good luck over the years.

View attachment 61254
Fun and educational times with some really good folks, thank you.

View attachment 61255
When you start hanging up old ventures, you decide to hang them all up at 50 years.

Like said, "50 years seems to be my marker" on getting out and about. I miss all of these things, but need to know when to stop. Funny now after having a few health issues end of last year, but the timing was right on the money.

How are you guys doing as you get older?

Started at age 6 and hung it up after 60 years. Can not abide still hunting, but do not disdain it. Just love to follow a good dog. Used to be easy with a 6 pound gun, 18 shells and light rations. But now I am too old to buy green bananas and it hurts too damn much.
But I do not love it any less.

Started pheasant hunting at age 9. I’m 62 now so 53 years. A heart isn’t letting me walk quite like I used to so I gave up
group hunting with my friends And hunt mostly by myself so I can stop more often and catch my breath. I do a whole lot of sitting in the woods gathering my thoughts with my flintlock! Greg

i've been hunting for 66 yrs and all my first equipment was JC Higgens. still have a place to squirrel hunt but all the farms are long gone.
only way to shoot is at a pay range but that's way better than none at all.

I had to have started sometime in the mid 1950s with a BB gun and that quickly progressed to where I am today. Got my first muzzleloader around 55 years ago. So my best calculation is 65 years or thereabout. It's much harder nowadays and I don't go nearly as much nor as often. But I still go.

I started like several at the heels of a GGreat grandfather who was a Civil War vet, my grandfather a WW-1 vet, and the Ole man WW-2 and Korea, Vietnam hadn't started up good yet, he went over in 64' and again in 68-72, I went in 68-71, any way just background all where farmed raised , I was 6 years old the first time I was sent out to ward the barn, to jump some rabbits for a meal, by the time I was 12, any time we were on the farm I carried the 22 pistol and 410 shotgun,animals of opportunity, and those that needed to leave my sisters and I alone. hunted up till 2015 and the first chest cracking for the heart. no more, not allowed to go by myself, the "BOSS" has spoken:confused:. I was blessed to have hunted and chased and being chased from wild cattle to crocs, to a deer that scarred me when young because it has fangs and barks, monkeys galore and snakes, and deer of all kind. I still enjoy reading of others adventures and dream of mine
Yep, understand the "BOSS". Same for me:(

I'll be 78 in April. Started tagging along with my Dad and Brother when I was 11. At 12, I had my own shotgun, Winchester 37, 16 ga. I was a city boy. Somewhere along the way, I realized I loved guns more than hunting, but I love hunting. Started flintlock deer hunting in 1975, Pennsylvania's first season, thanks to a good friend, Ed Zetler. My Dad died in '84, my Brother last year. I have never missed a season. A few years I only made one day, but it was flintlock. Mostly now, I get out a few days for Pheasant, and a few days for deer. Usually, I hunt 3-5 hours, from 20 minutes to an hour away from home. I use whatever gun I decide I want to shoot with. My Wife doesn't like me going by myself, but I tell her I have to go, when you stop moving you die.
Sometimes, it just feels good to be out in the woods with a gun. So that's 66 years or so....

Richard/Grumpa

Back