• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

How Long Have You Been Hunting ...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Began hunting at about 9 [1941] and hunted until I went to Mexico to become pastor of a church [2000]. No guns in Mexico.. I guess that is 59 years. I have continued to shoot and build muzzle loaders here in Oklahoma [2006 to present] but not much hunting. My deceased wife had cancer when we got to Oklahoma and that short circuited trips away from her. After she passed in 2011, I remarried and we still shoot but don't hunt. However, I may still try to shoot a boar before I leave this world [bucket list]. I will be 89 in April so don't expect to keep going for very long. Polecat

Began hunting at about 9 [1941] and hunted until I went to Mexico to become pastor of a church [2000]. No guns in Mexico.. I guess that is 59 years. I have continued to shoot and build muzzle loaders here in Oklahoma [2006 to present] but not much hunting. My deceased wife had cancer when we got to Oklahoma and that short circuited trips away from her. After she passed in 2011, I remarried and we still shoot but don't hunt. However, I may still try to shoot a boar before I leave this world [bucket list]. I will be 89 in April so don't expect to keep going for very long. Polecat

I use to sell handguns to several Mexican families that had family down in the boot of Mexico. 38 Super was the caliber they always got, non military caliber was what I was told was legal.

I use to sell handguns to several Mexican families that had family down in the boot of Mexico. 38 Super was the caliber they always got, non military caliber was what I was told was legal.

I don't know much about that but to have a gun in Mexico legally, you must be going hunting. That requires a guide for non-citizens. I know many Mexicans who have guns. For an American to possess a gun in Mexico. without a hunting permit and reservations with a guide, is a quick trip to an awful Jail. I could relate some stories … but I love Mexico and the Mexican people [except for cartels and a few bad-apple cops]. Dale

Well, I gave it a look, and I guess since I'm new around here, I don't know it, but you seem to be the king as far as big game hunting goes. I can't believe you've hunted all those with blackpowder. Perhaps I should be asking YOU where to hunt.

The offer still stands though. It would be an honor to listen to you talk. Most of my spots are small game though. The mule deer would take a bit of the physical activity that it sounds like you're trying to avoid. Although not as much as you'd think. Especially where I'm at.

I have been hunting since I was 13...,
Been Black powder hunting since I was 20
Flintlock hunting since I was 38
I'm now 58, so that makes 45 years of general hunting.

I was blessed that over the years I saw a bunch of negative examples of stuff, so....,

Take good care of my eyes..., my far vision is a blessing.

I've taken care of my back, so no blown discs, as I paid attention both in the Infantry and as a cop when they said "Do this this task [fill in one of many here ] this way or screw up your back"...

I've been in a bunch of car wrecks, and now see a Chirpractor every week..., I was told in 2015 I MUST have hand surgery on both hands inside a year..., well not done either hand, no pain, so there IS something good from Chiropractic treatment

My dad is 90, and talks about going hunting, so I don't dash his dream, but naw, he's not going anywhere. He's just too frail.
ALL of my family lives well into their 80's and some into their 90's..., do I take a bunch of organic, nutritional supplements.

I plan to take at least one grandchild on a hunt... (don't have any yet but the Daughter has a husband, so... ;))

LD

I started hunting at age 8, My cousin were the beagles. We had to charge into the thicket to kick out the rabbits. I can remember when we got home stripping off our pants to see who had the most sticker punctures in our legs, Lots of energy, little common sense. I got a juvenile hunting license at age ten. I am headed towards 77 in April and I have more metal parts then most new cars. My smoothbore weighs a little under 8 lbs. and I can only hold it for a couple of hours before the pain causes me to head home. I have an old Pedersoli Kentucky 50 cal. with a worn out lock, it's so old that no parts are available for it. I am trying to fit a flintlock from an Ultra-HI pistol to it. If it works it is going to Bob Hoyt to be bored out to a 54 smoothbore, ala Brit Smoothie. It will weigh under 6 1/2 pounds and hopefully will give me a few more years of hunting.

I was late to the game as my father did not hunt. I first went hunting, had to be fall of 11 or even 12th grade, so 1992? A friend and his dad took me along....I was the only one to bag a squirrel. I was pretty active for several years, often hunting alone since I couldn't always go with someone or have someone go with me. I haven't hunted since fall of 2010, but that last one was a great hunt. Had a really good time. Bagged one of the two squirrels I saw....one was just too close for a shot with a shotgun.

Here is a pic of that hunt......a friend had invited me. I loaned him a shotgun since his house had burned down and he lost his firearms. Guy couldn't hit anything with it though! Great bow hunter, but no real shooting ability. SMH.

That was the only time I hunted with that Auto 5.

I'm eager to take my mail-order bride (when she gets here) hunting...she says she wants to go.

Attachments

• 025.JPG
    025.JPG
    254.6 KB · Views: 85
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    168.4 KB · Views: 86
46 years. College roommates started me out when I was 18. Now besides hunting, I spend March/April training dogs, give them a few months break and back at it again in August until the season opens up. I go as hard as I can every day out knowing on the great creator knows when my hunting days will end.
There is nothing better than having a good dog that loves to hunt as much as you!I had rabbit dogs and I can close my eyes and see and hear my dogs strike on a scent to this day! I have a strange feeling you have bird dogs? If a man has a good dog, a horse and one good friend he is wealthy!

my GOD, but there are a lot of us OLD GREY BEARDS still out roaming the woods& hills. that is so good!. I guess that we will still be doing it, HUNTING, till GOD calls us ?! at least I for one hope so!

Yep, will be 68 in two weeks and still elk archery elk hunting solo every year. Pack them out on my back too. Just more trips. Been hunting since around 8 (with an old recurve). Got my first ML shotgun at 15. Bought it in the mail from the back of a magazine for $19.95. I remember filling out the order form. and checking the box "Yes, I am 21 years old". Haha. So I guess 60 years and counting. Nothing better than a wood fire in the stove and elk in the pot.

I'm 76, started hunting in 1958 or there abouts. Had a couple years breaks in my youth as we moved a lot(navy family)but always hunted when I was in a place where one could hunt. Last deer hunt was two years ago because of the draw system in Az. Bird hunting where I live is poor, rainfall for the last two years here. To go squirrel hunting is a 180 mile drive from where I live. It's rained some last couple of months maybe prospects will be better this fall.

Back