• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

How long does it take you to clean your rifle/smoothbore?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Takes me 30 minutes the day of shooting and then a few minutes a couple of days later to go over it again and run a fresh oil patch down the barrel. If I do not shoot the guns after that within 2-3 weeks I get them out and give a quick look over and run a lightly oiled patch down the barrel. I try to look over each of my cleaned guns modern and primitive once every month to make sure there are no signs of corrosion.
My routine is pretty much like Bassdog1's. When I set down to watch a movie at night, I will often grab a gun and run a few patches down the bore lightly oiled to make sure it's clean and no rust developing. On a commercial, I may grab another.

Honestly? Too long. Anywhere from 30 min to 1hr. It sucks and I don't like it. All that said, I do it because of my love for blackpowder arms and cleaning them is part of the experience.

If I’m in a rush, it’s a two beer job. If I take my time, it’s a 3 beer job. Accordingly, I like to take my time - 30 minutes per rifle to render it spotlessly clean while completely slaking my thirst. 😂

Just wondering how long you guys spend cleaning your flintlocks after each shooting session. -Larry
ten minutes or less. Before cleaning the inside, I remove and wash the lock, using a toothbrush to get into the corners. Also wash off the barrel exterior around the lock. I pull the vent liner ( put them in all of my flinters) and screw in an adaptor with a hose to a pop bottle of soapy water. Pump with a patched jag for a minute or so, change to clean hot water, pump some more. Wipe and dry until patches come out clean, then squirt some G96 down the bore, and spread it with a clean patch. When I have wiped the g96 in the barrel, I use that patch to wipe down all of the exterior metal, including the lock. put the odd drop of oil on the friction surfaces of the lock, put it all back together, wipe down all of the wood (including the ram rod), may or may not apply a bit of oil. Store muzzle down to allow any oil or whatever in the barrel to drain out. (Nothing like a gob of oil-soaked powder to screw up your first shot). I NEVER load a flinter without poofing off a small load of powder first, because it's such a pain in the a__ to fix a soaked load. No point stuffing a ball down a gun that won't fire. The picture is of a ball discharger which allows you to use a bicycle pump to push out a stuck ball. With the valve removed, and a piece of tubing attached, it works for flushing the gun. They will work the same on a cap gun if the nipple threads match.

Attachments

• Extractor in use..JPG
    Extractor in use..JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 94
In hunting camp I have to get the water boiling so it takes longer than the half hour so many report. Depends on whether it is smoothbore or rifle and length of barrel. Also how cold it is inside the tent or under the fly. I like the barrel to be hot enough to dry any left over water before running an oiled patch or Ballistol down the barrel and pipe clean and q-tip around or in the touch hole liner. Lock is removed and thoroughly cleaned, stock wiped and dried and ramrod cleaned, too. Fuss with knapping flint or replacing it with a new one.

Never timed it, don’t plan to. It takes what it takes and, going on the principle that ‘near enough is never enough’ it’s clean when it’s clean. All my precious sporting prevision equipment gets fully and properly cleaned after use, oiled and checked regularly. They deserve my best attention.

ten minutes or less. Before cleaning the inside, I remove and wash the lock, using a toothbrush to get into the corners. Also wash off the barrel exterior around the lock. I pull the vent liner ( put them in all of my flinters) and screw in an adaptor with a hose to a pop bottle of soapy water. Pump with a patched jag for a minute or so, change to clean hot water, pump some more. Wipe and dry until patches come out clean, then squirt some G96 down the bore, and spread it with a clean patch. When I have wiped the g96 in the barrel, I use that patch to wipe down all of the exterior metal, including the lock. put the odd drop of oil on the friction surfaces of the lock, put it all back together, wipe down all of the wood (including the ram rod), may or may not apply a bit of oil. Store muzzle down to allow any oil or whatever in the barrel to drain out. (Nothing like a gob of oil-soaked powder to screw up your first shot). I NEVER load a flinter without poofing off a small load of powder first, because it's such a pain in the a__ to fix a soaked load. No point stuffing a ball down a gun that won't fire. The picture is of a ball discharger which allows you to use a bicycle pump to push out a stuck ball. With the valve removed, and a piece of tubing attached, it works for flushing the gun. They will work the same on a cap gun if the nipple threads match.
Yup, precisely absolutely way i do it... even firing a sqib load before loading...

I got to say cleaning is not a chore for me. It’s just part of shooting.
I often take two guns to the range. So I clean both at once. While cleaning I’m out in the woods or at an event. It’s early America for a bit out there. Even if it’s on my back porch and I’m in my jeans.

I enjoy the cleaning process, so I take my time. It takes about 45 minutes for me to clean my two rifles that have easily removed barrels. That includes removing the locks to clean and lube the innerds. My pinned barreled “brown Bess” takes a bit longer since I take great care to keep water from getting under the barrel. I also take time to be sure the corners of the breech are completely clean of fowling.

It seems like I always clean my gun until it clean.....

Like others said , I figure it’s just part of the fun!

Back