• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How long does it take you to clean your rifle/smoothbore?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live in a fairly dry climate in the Texas Panhandle. The method I’ve used for forty years doesn't take more than a few minutes. all my guns are flintlocks.

First, I wad up a small piece of paper towel and put it in the pan and close the frozen down over it.

Next, I use a bottom scrapper to clean the face of the breech plug.

Then I soak a few patches in Windex and swab the bore. Amazing how quickly the fowling comes out. Continue until patches come out reasonably clean. Then I dry with a couple patches.

I then open the frizzen and the touchole is wet from the Windex. I put a cotton pipe cleaner in and turn it a few times to clean.

Next i Use a paper towel wetted with water to wipe away residue on the lock, and dry. I avoid removing the lock more than necessary.

Finally, I lube a patch with Wonder Lube or something similar and wipe the bore. I never put any petroleum product in the bore.

Gun is clean and ready to go. I never have any rust but again stress our climate is pretty dry.

Last edited:
Back