• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

How is your favorite range rod handle shaped?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I like to play on my hobby lathe and love to make handles, file handles mostly but I had an old range rod handle break off and curious about the favorite handles on some of you guy's range rods. I am just looking for new ideas.

My favorite is on a range rod a great that friend gave me along with all the other B/P stuff he had before he died;

handle biffs.JPG

I made this one but I don't have a good way to drill the hole centered on a handle plus I gave the ferrule area one to many hits with my lathe tool and got it too small for a tight ferrule fit, way too small.

handle turned.JPG

Like I said I love making handles and use it as an outlet when I start getting sloppy on a rifle build and need to put it up for a while.

These are osage;

file handles.JPG

Last edited:
That's nice work, Eric. Even the handle that didn't turn out as anticipated will make a dandy haft for an awl. The Osage file handles are gorgeous.

As for the original question, I don't really have a favorite. most of the commercial rods I own have either "screwdriver" type handles or general purpose wood handles with metal ferrules, as are commonly used on files. I can't say these are favorites, but they are what I have, and they work. I do like the old handle shown in your first photo. Old tools were much more aesthetically pleasing than any of the commercial products I know of now.

Notchy Bob

I like a rounded one for loading and cleaning use, but definetly a T if I have to pull a ball. then I can stand on the T end and pull upwards easily. I have also caught the T in a frame joint to pull against...oh, and once, a partially closed door jamb.

This is going to get a little "wordy"...but there's a safety issue to be considered and I beg your kind indulgence.
99% of my loading is done for offhand shooting and a super tight combination isn't much help. In other words...my offhand shooting is so bad...that having a really tight "match grade" combination isn't going to make much difference so I use a plain hickory rod with no handle at all.
On the rare occasion when I'm shooting off a rest (Bench and Chunk competitions for example), I have a couple of rifles dedicated to those events. For those events I use a pretty tight combination ( they are 50 caliber and I use a .500 ball with .020 [compressed measurement] "dry" patch) and need a dedicated Range Rod. The one I use is solid 3/8" brass with a tapered handle that looks very much like the Osage handles Eric is showing on his files. I make it a practice to never put the palm of my hand over the end of the rod. Gripping it "in my hand" rather than pushing down on it from the top will allow it to pass through my hand safely should the rifle go off when I'm seating a load. It's a small thing. It's an incredibly rare occurrence that has been discussed here at great length. My only comment to that is to say that I have seen it happen at my club. This isn't something I was told by a friend of a friend. The individual involved was using a Range Rod with a large round knob on the end. He was seating the ball with his hand on top of that knob. When the load he was pushing down the barrel went off....that big round knob did SEVERE DAMAGE to his hand and fingers. He didn't suffer any other damage ( praise God) but he never returned to the BP range.

I just use the totw steel rod with 10x32 thread and the tapered handle of wood. I also have a vntage .50 cal. mg rod one piece and T handle but it's awkward to use.

I would suspect cannons could have Some hot embers still in them hence the wet swabs first.

I blow down my barrels between shots to extinguish any potential hot Embers.

My favourite range rod has a new/old stock file handle which is just the job. I can hold it like a back to front file. I was told when I first started shooting (a very long time ago!) not to put your palm over the ramrod in case of an 'accident', which I assume meant a spilt rod? I must admit I've never seen anything like that happen but I would hate to be the first person it happens to!

Back