• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How is rear sight attached to this barrel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill M.

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Bought a .45 cal TC Hawken barrel early last year. It has a K prefix so I assume it is a kit barrel. I mounted it on a gun today and started to remove the rear sight. The sight has no screws showing and there is solder in the screw holes. So I guess the assembler just sweat soldered the sight baseto the barrel? Does anybody know if the kit barrels came with screw holes drilled or a dovetail slot cut already or if that was up to the maker to do? I would like to know what I am likely to find under this sight before I take the torch to it. The barrel is not going to be much use to me with the standard sight. But I could sell it on ebay if I do not mess it up, I guess.

Screw holes. Without pix can't say for sure what's up with your barrel so, it's possible some ham-handed "gunsmith" sweated the sight to the barrel but, on factory assembled sights you have to disassemble the sight to see the screws.

PICS! If there are no screws showing, what screw holes are full of solder????? PICS are worth a 1000 words. You have to drive the hinge pin out & remove the elevator part from the sight to access the mounting screws.

Thanks. I had taken the sight apart expecting to find the mounting screws, What I found is the screw holes in the sight do not have screws in them but do have what looks like solder half way filling them. Was wondering if the assembler just soldered the sight over the existing screw holes or if there are not any. I am gonna think on it until tonight or tomorrow and then unsolder it. Not sure how to get solder out of a screw hole. I will prrobably change out the front sight and shoot this one with a peep. But will have to do something about the blueing and screw holes where the existing sight is now.

Once you get the sight & solder off, if the screw holes are filled you'll kinda have to smooth everything up as much as you can, refinish the barrel & just live with it. Or you can have them re-drilled & tapped a slightly larger size, put screws in them, and file flush then refinish the barrel. TC used 6 x 48 sight screws so, 8 x 40's would probably work.

Thanks. I had taken the sight apart expecting to find the mounting screws, What I found is the screw holes in the sight do not have screws in them but do have what looks like solder half way filling them. Was wondering if the assembler just soldered the sight over the existing screw holes or if there are not any. I am gonna think on it until tonight or tomorrow and then unsolder it. Not sure how to get solder out of a screw hole. I will prrobably change out the front sight and shoot this one with a peep. But will have to do something about the blueing and screw holes where the existing sight is now.
tip the barrel upside down, heat where the sight is and let gravity do the rest.
Nit Wit

I wouldn't take any of the advice above about filling the screw holes until I've tried this. File the solder in the holes flush with the barrel, drill the solder out using the correct pilot drill, then tap using the correct tap. Compared to steel solder is soft. It out to clean out easily. I'd drill with an old fashioned egg beater hand drill. You'd have much more control than with an electric drill. You can drill steel with an egg beater drill, but you should be able to tell by feel when you've hit bottom of the screw holes.

My bet on why the holes are filled is the threads are goobered up. You may have to drill and tap new ones or cut a dovetail

you want to remove the rear sight?? i believe you have to drive out the split pin in the front of the sight and the screws are under the top piece. be careful as there is a small spring under the top half. this is all if you have the original t/c sight on there . and no one drilled and filled extra holes

Bought a .45 cal TC Hawken barrel early last year. It has a K prefix so I assume it is a kit barrel. I mounted it on a gun today and started to remove the rear sight. The sight has no screws showing and there is solder in the screw holes. So I guess the assembler just sweat soldered the sight baseto the barrel? Does anybody know if the kit barrels came with screw holes drilled or a dovetail slot cut already or if that was up to the maker to do? I would like to know what I am likely to find under this sight before I take the torch to it. The barrel is not going to be much use to me with the standard sight. But I could sell it on ebay if I do not mess it up, I guess.
If it’s a TC Hawken, 2 screws held the base of the sight to the barrel. They were hidden underneath the rear sight that had an elevation screw. To remove, you unscrewed the elevation screw and the rear sight lifted up with a small coil spring under it. Then the 2 screws that held the base to the barrel were visible.

Just too be clear. I drove out the pin. I took the sight leaf and springs out. There are no screws holding the sight. It sees to be soldered down. I was wondering if the kit barrels came pre drilled. My understanding now is that they do have the holes. My thinking is along the lines of those who suggested maybe the screw holes are misaligned or cross threaded or have a broken screw or something. Right now other things that need my attention have come up so I put the barrel back in the storage cabinet and will address the issue when I have time. Maybe this fall. I was going to use the holes to temp mount a scope to test the barrel. My old eyes do not work good for the thin blade and deep v sight and I wanted to take the sighting element out of finding out if the barrel shoots well. I have a cobbled up scope mount that uses the standard TC sight holes to mount just solid enough for testing. I would not carry it in the field or hunt with it but it works well enough at the range.

If the holes are filled with solder it probably has striped out holes or broken screws in the holes. The only way to tell for sure is to melt the solder out as suggested in earlier posts. New holes could be drilled and tapped slightly forward of the origional , and the origonal holes would be covered by the sight . here is my solution to replacing the sights with a fixed sight using the origional holes .

Attachments

• buck horn site off rifle.jpg
    buck horn site off rifle.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 0
  • buck horn sight mounted.jpg
    buck horn sight mounted.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 0
A solder sucker or even desoldering braid could help remove the solder from the screw holes though I like the compressed air method as well as heating upside down.

Just too be clear. I drove out the pin. I took the sight leaf and springs out. There are no screws holding the sight. It sees to be soldered down. I was wondering if the kit barrels came pre drilled. My understanding now is that they do have the holes. My thinking is along the lines of those who suggested maybe the screw holes are misaligned or cross threaded or have a broken screw or something. Right now other things that need my attention have come up so I put the barrel back in the storage cabinet and will address the issue when I have time. Maybe this fall. I was going to use the holes to temp mount a scope to test the barrel. My old eyes do not work good for the thin blade and deep v sight and I wanted to take the sighting element out of finding out if the barrel shoots well. I have a cobbled up scope mount that uses the standard TC sight holes to mount just solid enough for testing. I would not carry it in the field or hunt with it but it works well enough at the range.
I assembled a TC Hawken kit back in the mid seventies. At that time they came pre-drilled and tapped.

Back