• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

How I Make A Ramrod and Range Rod

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you go hollow or solid brass?
I don't know if you directed your question to me or not but I chose a solid brass rod as close to the diameter of the jag as possible, don't remember exactly and I am to lazy to take them down to measure? LOL!
You need a solid rod to drill and tap for your jag to screw into it. It is hard to tap a hollow rod in the center? :) One plus is it will age well and to me looks like it belongs on the rifles?

The thought of an oak ramrod gives me the willys. Some Oak species are know to easily break and splinter. As appointed "range medic" (Cause i had the big first aid kit in my truck) i have seen results of not being careful when loading. It was usually newbies with hardware store doweling or non hickory woods. Being out of ML now this last decade I now wonder how the Ramin wood rods are holding up with age and use. I found this thread amusing.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/ramin-for-ramrods.121477/

I have NEVER broken a hickory ramrod, including the ancient one in my .32. If you are breaking a hickory ramrod it is my belief its your method that is the problem not the ramrod.
I don't reccommend FG rods; as they wear, the glass fibre is exposed, and the exposed fibres will abrade the rifling in your muzzle very quickly. Only use them with a muzzle guide for this reason. A friend wore the last inch out of his rifeling in a couple of years; had to shorten the barrel a bit to restore accuracy. Get a plastic one (PVC welding rod) instead if you want a floppy rod. I have personally never used anything but wooden rods, and have never broken one in use. I have a sectional steel rod which I can drag out for exceptional uses, and use steel cleaning rods at home.

I don't know if you directed your question to me or not but I chose a solid brass rod as close to the diameter of the jag as possible, don't remember exactly and I am to lazy to take them down to measure? LOL!
You need a solid rod to drill and tap for your jag to screw into it. It is hard to tap a hollow rod in the center? :) One plus is it will age well and to me looks like it belongs on the rifles?

I did. I forgot to insert the quote.

IF! I were to make an "other than hickory" rod I would make it out of Delrin from here (click this link) McMaster-Carr it machines and holds threads well and will not wear the riflings. I have one that I use on my BPCR rifles as it is flexible and gets around the soule sights. Hickory however has never let me down and I don't see the need for anything else in a flintlock.

I would pick the biggest diameter that would fit in your thimbles if you are going to use it in them, if your going to use it as a range rod I would get the biggest that will fit the bore, maybe 7/16 or so.
Sorry i meant 5/16" but correct on the 7/16 size for range rod. Was gifted a complete 7/16", 48" delrin. It works ok but man that thing is "whippy". It is brass ended, glued, pinned and threaded for attachments. It is so flexible its sometimes hard to use. Reminds me of some CW movie scene where troops capture a negro soldier and beat him to death with their whippy steel ramrods!!!!

Fiberglass can be very abrasive and can damage the crown so if you use it please buy a plastic or brass muzzle protector. I've had to recrown a number of barrels for customers because of them.
I used a fiberglass ramrod about 30 years ago. I was thrilled that I used a bore protector.
This picture shows what the Dixie fiberglass ramrod did over 30 years ago to a brass muzzle guard in six months. I'm still using the other one with a brass loading rod. Both muzzle guards were 3/8".

View attachment 68531

Fiberglass can be very abrasive and can damage the crown so if you use it please buy a plastic or brass muzzle protector. I've had to recrown a number of barrels for customers because of them.

This has been stated and repeated over and over here and throughout the Muzzleloading community. I first heard it over 40 years ago. It seemed logical to me and I accepted this bit of "wisdom". I never gave it much thought because I had no interest in fiberglass rods.

It has been proven otherwise and the testing has been discussed right here on the forum.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/fiberglass-ramrod-ruining-a-barrel.55168/

This has been stated and repeated over and over here and throughout the Muzzleloading community. I first heard it over 40 years ago. It seemed logical to me and I accepted this bit of "wisdom". I never gave it much thought because I had no interest in fiberglass rods.

It has been proven otherwise and the testing has been discussed right here on the forum.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/fiberglass-ramrod-ruining-a-barrel.55168/

"It has been proven otherwise" ? Did I miss something?

Once had a guy at range using one of those 36" (?) red sectional fiberglass brush rods from a chimney cleaning set. He was using it on a 12 G ML Shotgun. During the Match he injured himself with it. A piece of glass fiber peeled loose and stuck deeply in his hand while loading. As range "doc" (i had first aid kit) i pulled most of it out with tweezers but had to go to ER to get rest out.

Yes, go back and read the links in posts #53 and #54

I read #53 and #54 and I am confused? How do they prove anything? All I got was a opinion? Everyone has an opinion but opinions are not worth a thing without proof.

Back