• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

How I Make A Ramrod and Range Rod

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a fiberglass rod for my hawken .58. some "purists" may not like that and want wood but my rod will not break

I have NEVER broken a hickory ramrod, including the ancient one in my .32. If you are breaking a hickory ramrod it is my belief its your method that is the problem not the ramrod.

Last night had to thin down one end of a fiberglass rod to fit in the stock hole. Clamped cordless drill in vise, put ramrod in drill, and 60-grit sandpaper looped around the rod. On low speed, held on to loose end of the rod with sandpaper and worked toward the drill slowly.

It worked. Done in a short time and perfectly round (as far as I can tell). Now, this was on a 28" rod, 5/16ths" diameter, working alone with a horsefly trying to bite me.

I have NEVER broken a hickory ramrod, including the ancient one in my .32. If you are breaking a hickory ramrod it is my belief its your method that is the problem not the ramrod.
I never broke one either but I still want the fiberglass rod for insurance . I had some wood ramrods warp a little

I ordered a length of seamless steel tubing from Aircraft Spruce.
Draw-filed it to get the correct taper, threaded the small end & silver-brazed a brass jag on the other end (& threaded that as well.
Browned it for looks, and can broil meat on it, use it to blow on stubborn baulky fire as well as to clean & load with.

The tubing is lighter than a solid steel or iron rod.

Suits my short 24 ga. "canoe gun" very well :)

Davo

Made me a rod just for cleaning and tough work, used a chainsaw file handle screwed onto a ball puller and it worked like a dream. Easy on the hands just not PC. Got one with hickory and one with bright orange handles for diff jags.

Howdy N.Y. Yankee:
This sounds very good, but may I make a suggestion? It's a fairly cheap suggestion. Go to the hardware store and get a "Small" tubing cutter. Use that to score your "stop" line for your ram rod thimbles. Just mark thre spot like you do with tape and keep going around the rod with the cutter until you're just as deep as you want to be. I've been doing it like this for 50+ years, NEVER had a bad score line and a lot easier (less time consuming and tedious) than with a fine tooth saw. Just my $0.02. Keep it up buddy.
God bless:
Two Feathers

That's a great idea. I may pick one up next trip to town.

In my opinion YES!!! But, a lot of it has to do with how big the rod is. You might be able to get away with 1/8" if you're making a 1/2" ramrod? You do whatever works for you and reduces the risk of breaking the rod or bit in the process. I have a Drill press; a Vee block, and vise so it's a lot easier for me. 1/16" bits are notorious for breaking with hand drills. Be sure to put a piece steel rod (drill shank, whatever) inside the thimble and lightly center punch it first to reduce the chances of the bit "walking" and breaking or getting an off center hole?
I hope that helped somewhat?
God bless:
Two Feathers

Yes, 1/8 is kinda big for a 3/8 rod. 7/16 rod, OK.

I got a fiberglass rod for my hawken .58. some "purists" may not like that and want wood but my rod will not break

That may be but I just cant put a FG rod on a gun that was designed long before those materials were invented. I just feel the Hickory is "better" for me.

i mark different loads on my rods this way. just a light score and it eventually fills with powder residue making a nice set of telltale black rings .
deerstalkert:
Just curious?? Do you keep adding and pouring out powder until your score lines line up with the muzzle?
Maybe I missed something? How do you determine WHEN to stop adding powder? Is it a "sneak up on it" kinda' thing? I'm really corn-fused. ;) :dunno::ThankYou:
God bless:
Two Feathers

Clint:
I hear ya.' Brother. Fiberglass is the ONLY way to go, IF you don't give a hang but PC/HA?
Unfortunately, far too many who show up at Rondys DO!
I haven't heard from my supplier yet, but it's still too early in his business for personal stuff.
I'm hoping to hear from him before the end of the day. If I don't, I'll look elsewhere. There's ALWAYS a back-up.:~)))) I could just go to Lowes and get a 7/16" Birch dowel and stain it, but that wouldn't be PC enough for me.
Dave
Anything wrong with a brass rod fitted to the gun? I mean a one piece rod that fits in the rod slot and has interchangeable jags.

Nice hickory rod living under my rifle's barrel for everyday loading and cleaning.

Bought a 50BMG cleaning rod for a range rod. Comes apart into sections easy to pack/carry. The "T" handle swivels so I welded a nut on that section of the rod to afford purchase should I need to drill into a ball. Thinking about brazing on some sections of copper tubing to keep the steel off the rifling.

Anything wrong with a brass rod fitted to the gun? I mean a one piece rod that fits in the rod slot and has interchangeable jags.

I made several of those for long wilderness stays where equipment was limited. Put a threaded rod tip on each end and adapted a threaded handle to allow it to function as a range rod. Adds a little weight but not much. Ive done the same with quality hickory.

I did away with the Hickory rod that came with my rifle and replaced it with a brass one and never looked back! I don't worry about breaking it either! It has been working like a charm since 1985?

Back