• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How I lube cut at the muzzle patches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mr Flintlocks Is the best lube I’ve ever used! I’m able load and shoot multiple times without having to stop and swab. I also keep patches cut and extra material with Mr Flintlocks in a ziplock bag. Patches don’t deteriorate and are easily ready when needed.
Have heard good things about Mr. Flintlocks. Using my mix, I dont swab between shots either. I use this same lube mixture for patches in rifles, cap and ball pistols, and making metallic cartridges in both black and smokeless. I never have to stop at the range due to fowling issues or any apparant loss of accuracy.

I've still got several tubes of bore butter, and have been using it for years. I squeeze a gob into a zip lock bag, toss in a couple strips, seal the bag. And toss the bag into the microwave. Easily melts the bore butter, then just do the shake and bake to the bag. Voila, lubed patch strips.

Mr F is my 2nd choice. I really should redo the test. I shot 5 rds at 50 yds from a bench using both the drylubed patches + swabbing and the Mr Flintlocks without swabbing. The drylubed group was about one inch better(1.75" vs @3"). I took emotion out of the equation and let the rifle choose.

Mr Flintlocks Is the best lube I’ve ever used! I’m able load and shoot multiple times without having to stop and swab. I also keep patches cut and extra material with Mr Flintlocks in a ziplock bag. Patches don’t deteriorate and are easily ready when needed.

I used to go through the process of pre-lubing strips, and then refining my lube mix for hot and cold seasons. Then I decided I didn't like getting all greasy from handling the pre-lubed strips while shooting. I had won a spray bottle of Hoppes black powder cleaner and lube so I figured I would use it. Did not make a great cleaner but it is a great lube. I put it in a small spray bottle. Used that up and switched to dawn detergent in water as recommended by a local champion shooter. I spray one side of the patch and place that side on the muzzle, place the ball and start and cut then ram home. Keeps the barrel clean, no swabbing needed, not greasy. To keep things simple when shooting in the woods I simply spit patch. The rifles clean easier now and like I said, no swabbing is required. One note on adding beeswax to lubes. That is when I started noting that the fouling was harder to clean than just straight tallow.

I used to do that and stored them in 35mm film cans. You do know what those are don't you? :D I expect today you could find some pill bottles online to use. If I were going to shoot a lot I would just unroll one and pin it to the upper left side of my frock.
I would cut a slot in the side and pull out the strip as needed.

I would cut a slot in the side and pull out the strip as needed.

That would be the way to go in a regular match but we were shooting in an event where we had to be 100% correct. Apparently the strip of patching material was OK or overlooked. We were judged by virtually everything we did and were even docked for ragged volleys in the musket team event where we had to load by the manual and shoot on command.

I use strips of pillow ticking. Soaked in a varied mix of Ballistol and water. I hand squeegee them between my fingers and then lay them out to dry on some wax paper. The next day I roll them up and put them in 35 mm film cans marked with the mixed amount. The best mix that shoots consistent is with a mix of 8 water to 1 part Ballistol on 10mm thick pillow ticking

After dunking my patch strip in melted Mink Oil, I squeegee the strip between two Popsicle sticks over the melting pot to catch the drips, then I lay the strips on an old towel to dry. Once dry, I roll the strip and put it in a .35mm film canister (the aluminum ones with the screw on lid, shows how old I am) I have a slit cut in the aluminum can that I feed the end of the lubed patching strip thru. The can has a screw eye in the bottom of it that is attached to by shooting bag by a thong.
That's a great idea!!! It would work great for hunting squirrels - rabbits - birds, where your taking alot of shots.

I read somewhere about a technique I thought made sense for pre-lubeing patches.
1. Melted lube of choice.
2. Dipped patch material of choice.
3. Squeeze out excess.
4. Placed lubed material between two ridged plates, like 1/4" glass or large floor tiles, then put XX pounds of weight on it.
5. Let sit for X amount of time.
6. Remove, cut to desired form, and store as desired.
Repeatable and consistent.
Have not personally tried it as I am still using up my pre-lubed store bought patches.

Yeah, I do . . . . .

Always thought the T/C “Bore Butter” was nothing more than Crisco with yellow food coloring added.
If only crisco smelled as good as Bore Butter/Wonder Lube/Whatever name it has this week. I am not nearly as picky as most folks about lube. But in fairness I also don't shoot competitively or as often as others. I find most common hard lubes work well enough. I also like straight bear oil for a wet lube. And I mean actual rendered bear oil, not something called bear oil that isn't pure rendered bear oil. Only downside is that is salty, or at least it smells salty. I carry dry strips of patch and lube in real time.

I don't generally worry about the lube getting everywhere though because I can just wipe it on the bag or wherever. If historicity is of any account in this adventure we call MLing, our ancestors were as greasy as a coon's midnight bowel movement. Some of em coulda run a patch through their hair and run outta powder before they did grease.

All but used up my supply today so figured I would share my process.
cut pillow ticking to width, melt my pot of lube(bees wax, lard and Balistol) dunk the strips to saturate them, hang to cool and set.Then roll up and done. Makes it pretty handy when loading from the bag.
Is is messy on your hands when shooting.

Back