• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

How I lube cut at the muzzle patches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkieDougie

36 Cl.
Reaction score
All but used up my supply today so figured I would share my process.
cut pillow ticking to width, melt my pot of lube(bees wax, lard and Balistol) dunk the strips to saturate them, hang to cool and set.Then roll up and done. Makes it pretty handy when loading from the bag.

Attachments

• FD42B4C1-4FE6-4DC3-9A39-DAAC777BD797.jpeg
    FD42B4C1-4FE6-4DC3-9A39-DAAC777BD797.jpeg
    68.6 KB · Views: 106
  • 5B9B609B-6ABE-4F0E-92CF-193E48951C25.jpeg
    5B9B609B-6ABE-4F0E-92CF-193E48951C25.jpeg
    72.8 KB · Views: 116
  • 7CACAF9A-51E2-4390-8E98-E2B6FCE8CA79.jpeg
    7CACAF9A-51E2-4390-8E98-E2B6FCE8CA79.jpeg
    129.6 KB · Views: 113
When I hang them like that the bottom of the patch is more heavily lubed than the tops where it's hung from. How do you keep it even? I've been putting the strips flat on aluminum foil that has a very light coating of spray Pam to prevent sticking.
I roll them up tight and put in a small ziploc bag until ready to use. Maybe the temp of the lube. It is too hot to touch during the dip. The excess drips down pretty quick. Then rolled up for several weeks before they are actually used. All seems to be pretty even when I go to use them.

I used to do that and stored them in 35mm film cans. You do know what those are don't you? :D I expect today you could find some pill bottles online to use. If I were going to shoot a lot I would just unroll one and pin it to the upper left side of my frock.

You can run your patch strips in between a rag and remove the excess, Or do as the longhunters and mountain men of old did and run to the pre-lubed patch store. They actually must have had highly trained workers that could lube a patch.

I used to do that and stored them in 35mm film cans. You do know what those are don't you? :D I expect today you could find some pill bottles online to use. If I were going to shoot a lot I would just unroll one and pin it to the upper left side of my frock.
I do indeed.
Haven't seen one of those canisters in years. Was going through some of my old junk not long ago and came across a package of negative strips. Showed our ancient tech to the kids. Yeah, we would take a picture and not know it was awful for almost a week.
I use a non traditional shooting bag. Nylon. plastic and zippers. Little pocket inside where these greasy rolls live.

After dunking my patch strip in melted Mink Oil, I squeegee the strip between two Popsicle sticks over the melting pot to catch the drips, then I lay the strips on an old towel to dry. Once dry, I roll the strip and put it in a .35mm film canister (the aluminum ones with the screw on lid, shows how old I am) I have a slit cut in the aluminum can that I feed the end of the lubed patching strip thru. The can has a screw eye in the bottom of it that is attached to by shooting bag by a thong.

I lay my patches on a large , 2'6" long porcelain floor tile which I brought from a hardware store at a sale of unwanted out of fashion tiles , it works perfectly . I have some iron rods to keep the patch cloth from blowing away on windy days,

I could not use pre-lubed cut at muzzle roll patching.
So much patch material handling I just know my fingers, hands and my whole kit would soon be coated in patch lube.
Even having the patch roll feed out of a slot in a container wouldn’t save me and my kit from eventually getting thoroughly lube slimed.

For me it’s pre-cut (round) and pre-lubed, dipped in melted mink oil tallow when I’m not using the dry lube method.

I see Track of the Wolf is selling tins of SPG lube. That got be thinking I should try my home made Emmerts lube on patches, it works on cast bullets in my BP cartridges it should work on cotton patches too.

Take old tall medicine bottle roll patches up .put them in pour your lub over let it sit for a few hrs or days. It works for me

I do the dry lube ballistol and water method at the range or hunting. If im on a woodswalk or any other shooting activity where I'm either loading from the bag or not easily able to swab between shots, I use strips pretreated with Mr Flintlocks patch lube. I keep 3-4 rolls in a zip lock bag inside another zip lock bag for storage. As long as they're damp they're good. No need to swab, and it's almost as accurate.

I use a dry lube that doesn't get all over everything when my shooting bag or on a bench. It is just a common mixture of alcohol and oil. I use about a 8:1 mix alcohol to castor oil mix it in a quart jar and dip the cut length of patching into it. The patching is then laid on a screen wire horizontally until the alcohol evaporates and then roll up. Use 100% alcohol and your favorite vegetable oil.
I have used a number of different types of vegetable oil with my machine rest and cannot see any differences in the results.

What is your beeswax, lard and ballistol mix? Is the lard just from the grocery store?
From my notes on it. I forget now where I got the forumla from. Was not my own creation.
Yes, standard lard from the grocery store. Crisco would be fine to.

5 parts beeswax
4 parts fat
1 part oil

I do the dry lube ballistol and water method at the range or hunting. If im on a woodswalk or any other shooting activity where I'm either loading from the bag or not easily able to swab between shots, I use strips pretreated with Mr Flintlocks patch lube. I keep 3-4 rolls in a zip lock bag inside another zip lock bag for storage. As long as they're damp they're good. No need to swab, and it's almost as accurate.
Mr Flintlocks Is the best lube I’ve ever used! I’m able load and shoot multiple times without having to stop and swab. I also keep patches cut and extra material with Mr Flintlocks in a ziplock bag. Patches don’t deteriorate and are easily ready when needed.

Back