• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

How Flat is Flat...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use to hand plane all my gunstocks after I bandsawed them out from my planks of wood. After I got my 12-1/2 " Delta surface planer I never looked back. I true up the sides using the surface planer then it's over to the table saw to square up the top then to the jointer. I now have three surfaces true to each other - maybe 45 minutes work or less. By hand method it use to take me about 4 hours. My planks are 2-7/8" thick as they came from the saw mill with deep saw blade marks before being air dried.
My Wood 2.JPG

Speaking from unfortunate experience many years ago, this is a dark path for the inexperienced to tread. Even now I would avoid it. I might set things up at some early point in shaping the stock to use a router table -- which would give me a lot more control. But a handheld router can eat your project in a moment if you aren't really experienced and cautious with it, and have it very carefully set up to prevent wandering and other more violent things routers like to do. :)
Im aNO NO NO POWER TOOLS GUY!

You need a Moravian jointer/planer for such jobs. That’s basically a fully trained gunmaker who chooses on the fly what hand tools he needs to get it to the chalk line. And the choices will depend on wood grain and other factors. Start with a frame saw and clean up with planes, spokeshave, rasp as needed.
Don't have any spare Moravians but I do have hand tools (and a drill press for pinning stuff). I have been looking for used Stanley #4 planes but no luck so far. Measure twice, cut once!

OK. Love all of the input. Got the top squared to the right side and working on flattening the top to .01" this one is trickier for identifying the high spots.

If you don't have a router but do have a good drill press (Pillar drill) you can make one. Determine the dia. of the barrel.If tapered use the muzzle end. Find the largest dia rod that wil fit your chuck and cut about 4" off. Find a washer slightly larger than the barrel. Cut a slot in the "centre" of the rod end the depth of the 2/3rds washer ,just passed the hole. Silver solder in the washer. Form the exposed washer into a two bladed cutter. Clamp 2 pieces of sqare wood onto the drill table the width of your sqared blank making sure the spindle is in the centre of the two guide. Set the cutter to less than half its depth you need as you may need to take more than one bite at the cherry if the wood is hard. Start the driil and slowly feed the blank forward against the cutter and keep going as far as the breakoff, making sure the blank is held down firmly on the table. Make the last cut slightly more than 1/2 way as that leaves the edges safe whilst you are fitting. Take small bites until you are deep enough. After that it's down to hand work.Gouges, Round & 1/2 round Surforms and Rasps & files.It's worked for me several times. The cutters are cheap and there for Next time. Best of Luck !! OLD DOG..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back