• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How fast is a Hawken ball?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m not a powder pincher by any means, because I’ve several pounds looking for the most accurate load for my Lyman .54 cal GPR. Even with only 65 gr. of 3f Goex behind a round ball, it will still push a ball through both shoulder blades of deer 75-80 yards away. I’m good with that. I can certainly understand needing more power for the bigger game, so what ever works for you, I’m ecstatic with. 😉
I have had a few .54 cal. rifles and they all shot 80 grains of powder best.They also shot Pyrodex as well as black powder. I have never tried any other types of powder. My few friends that had .54 cal rifles had the same results. I did try 120 grains and the group was to wide. The same thing happened to a lesser degree as I decreased the load until we reached 80 grains. If shots were close any load would do but I strive for accuracy and this was my findings. These are with a 1:66 twist barrels. This may not apply to fast twist barrels?

The .54 rifle in my battery has a 33" bbl and has been fired quite a few rounds using 110grains of 3F. It even killed a deer DRT with that very load. And I can tell you that load really does shoot! Velocity is about 1730 + or - fps. Although the rifle weighs in at some 10.5 lbs the recoil will get one's attention right off the bat. Twist is 1-66".

That heavy load is, admittedly, a bit much for most uses so the normal "everything" load is 60 grains of 3F. This load groups around 1" at 60 yards with a velocity, IIRC, around 1300 + or - fps. That's good for deer up to 100 yards, IMHO, which is about 3X the distance I actually shoot them.

The .54 rifle in my battery has a 33" bbl and has been fired quite a few rounds using 110grains of 3F. It even killed a deer DRT with that very load. And I can tell you that load really does shoot! Velocity is about 1730 + or - fps. Although the rifle weighs in at some 10.5 lbs the recoil will get one's attention right off the bat. Twist is 1-66".

That heavy load is, admittedly, a bit much for most uses so the normal "everything" load is 60 grains of 3F. This load groups around 1" at 60 yards with a velocity, IIRC, around 1300 + or - fps. That's good for deer up to 100 yards, IMHO, which is about 3X the distance I actually shoot them.
That is faster than my 45/70? I have seen the results of my rifle and I can gurantee that it is enough to take down everything from a mouse to a Sherman tank!

This is something I have wondered for some time. The .54 Hawken rifle below is my first build - a Kit Carson from TOW. I have taken several bucks with this gun but I have pondered about what velocity I was getting. My standard load has been 125 grains FF, Now, I realize there are some "powder pinchers" here who will jump to explain why this is an unnecessary heavy load in terms of game lethality. And they are right, however I believe the Hawken was intended as a heavy hitter and I enjoy the laser flat trajectory this load gives me at any reasonably hunting distance.

View attachment 94966

Today I was at the range to zero a replacement rear sight and was delighted when a fellow shooter suggested I put a ball through his chronograph. I had a guesstimated number in mind, extrapolated from online tables but now thanks to the chronograph we know for certain. 125 grains of Swiss FF pushes the ball at 1979 FPS.

View attachment 94968

No wonder the balls recovered from game are flat and quarter sized.

View attachment 94967

Not to rain on your parade, but how many shots did you run across his sky screens? How far was his sky screens from your muzzle?

I've used a Pact Chronograph for 20 years. A big problem using it and muzzleloaders is inconsistent readings due to powder smoke. I have to set my equipment WAY out there to get consistent velocities.

I would be suspect of one shot across the sky screens.

Not to rain on your parade, but how many shots did you run across his sky screens? How far was his sky screens from your muzzle?

I've used a Pact Chronograph for 20 years. A big problem using it and muzzleloaders is inconsistent readings due to powder smoke. I have to set my equipment WAY out there to get consistent velocities.

I would be suspect of one shot across the sky screens.
An excellent observation. Actually we had to move the screens quite a bit forward in order to obtain good results. We were wondering of the billowing smoke bloom had something to do with it.

Back