• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How does one go about using lubed wads in a smoothbore?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boston123

40 Cal
Reaction score
So, I have been looking into improving my accuracy with my 20ga smoothbore trade-gun, and I was told to make use of lubed wadding over the powder and under the ball, so as to seal gases behind the ball and increase velocity. Apparently, a historically-accurate method of doing this would be to load powder, then a folded paper wad, then a chunk of lubed-up hemp tow fiber, then the ball, then a dry chunk of hemp tow fiber. The folded paper apparently protects the powder charge from the oil of the lubed-up hemp.

I have not tried this yet, since I havent been to the range in ages.

However, when browsing Track of the Wolf, I came across pre-lubed felt wads, as shown here Felt wads for muzzle loading and black powder cartridges - Track of the Wolf

Would I have to put an unlubed wad down the bore with these, to protect the powder, or just the lubed wad?

I don’t know how many folks shoot smoothbore on the forum, but each will provide you with the very best answer.
Of course they will all be different and some contradictory.
I roll a ball of tow in a grease till it holds it shape start in to the muzzle, force the ball into the center and run it home.
Then another on top.
Or
Use a 1 by 2 inch paper, folded in half and ran home, a ball then another paper wad. I don’t use the paper with a fiber wad.
But I’ve done a paper- ball-tow, Tow-ball-paper, too.
And I’ve run most everything in a natural fiber down a bore…. Even dog hair wads

So, I have been looking into improving my accuracy with my 20ga smoothbore trade-gun, and I was told to make use of lubed wadding over the powder and under the ball, so as to seal gases behind the ball and increase velocity. Apparently, a historically-accurate method of doing this would be to load powder, then a folded paper wad, then a chunk of lubed-up hemp tow fiber, then the ball, then a dry chunk of hemp tow fiber. The folded paper apparently protects the powder charge from the oil of the lubed-up hemp.

I have not tried this yet, since I havent been to the range in ages.

However, when browsing Track of the Wolf, I came across pre-lubed felt wads, as shown here Felt wads for muzzle loading and black powder cartridges - Track of the Wolf

Would I have to put an unlubed wad down the bore with these, to protect the powder, or just the lubed wad?
Skip the prelubed felt wads. You can get dry felt wads from Eastern Maine Shooter's Supply, I think I've posted a link elsewhere on the forum. Most likely in the smoothbore section. Lube them yourself.
The folded paper, for a 20 gauge it would be a 1"×2" strip folded in half to make an1" square, both protects powder from lube, but more importantly helps form a gas seal. Gasses tend to push through the tow wadding if using that. I usually load; powder, thin card, lubed wad (either felt or faux-tow), shot, then another thin card to hold it in. Except when using the Skychief load which is a whole different ball game.
Faux-tow=shredded jute rope. Someday I'll breakdown and buy real flax tow, but until then, this works.
I advise that you search posts on shooting smoothbores written by @George
Also visit his website, Bob's Blackpowder notebook.
If you search my topics I have a photo tutorial on loading the Skychief load and one on making paper shotcups. The Skychief one can be applied here, just slightly different components.

Latest posts

Back