• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How do you waterproof a wooden ramrod

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a plastic pipe to soak ramrods in #1 kerosine put in a dozen rods and filled the pipe in kerosine. 6 months later I took 2 out. The rods could be snapped between my fingers on one hand.

Poured the rest including rods on a brush pile with the pipe and let them burn.

I use jim Chambers finish on all my new guns, usually about 8 hand rubbed coats. After the last coat has thouroughly dried I use Q tips and split wood shafts with a piece of cloth held in the split. I use the Q tips soaked in finish to seal every crack and hole. Then I use the split shaft, coat the cloth with finish and insert it in every hole I can including the ram rod hole. I do this under the butt plate, side plate, inside the lock mortice and anywhere there is raw wood. Then come back and wipe off the still wet finish. After hanging the stock to dry I treat the ram rod with finish until it begins to puddle on the surface then I wipe the wet finish off the surface of the ram rod. After all this drys I consider the weapon ready to shoot.
I have used nothing but Jim Chambers finish for 15 to 25 years with no complaints and no swelled or warped wood. Plus it's easy to use.

Tung Oil Linseed oil Drained motor oil Oh! I know just use any old oil laying around and yes i use linseed and Tung oil kindy sticky at first you can find you tube video using either. I don't think it much matters IMHO

My long time opinion , the final coat of finish on a m/l gun , should be a coat or two of good furniture wax. I use Minwax Special Dark Wax , on the exterior , and r/r as well. On a new r/r , I like a runny penetrating finish , and after the finish , is good and dry , then the wax. Working well for 50+ yrs. .

Waterproofing a ramrod has more to do with the type of wood you’re using than the finish.

Hickory is a pretty tight grained wood, and wont absorb much water and it does it will dry out in a matter of minutes.

Even your oaks are pretty water resistant, red oak, holly oak, and white oak.

I use black locust and hickory for ramrods. The tight grained woods won’t absorb an oil finish so I generally use a varnish on them. Tru oil works perfectly fine.

Bamboo is great for ramrods, good luck finding it in a dowel.

Ive only broken on rod in about 20 years and that was because I accidentally sat on it.

Soaking a ramrod in oils should be done after the rod has been stained. And the oil should be mineral based such as old English lemon oil.

I did know a fella who boiled his rods in molten pine rosen. He used a copper pipe cut in half over a camp fire. Basically made a long slender slice of fat-wood that is extremely pliable. But i dont’ think this is really worth the extra work, as most wood rods don’t break unless they’re made of an incorrect wood type.

Back