• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

How do you transport your longrifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s a shame our world has changed so much that no one, even down here, has a gun rack in their truck anymore. While a rear window gun rack would prove to short for most long rifles, there are models that would fit. Growing up, there wasn’t a truck that didn’t have a rifle rack and most would have an old Winchester hanging in it. I still had a gun rack in my old pickup until the early 80’s, carried a rifle until then too. Then it all just disappeared.
8 years ago I carried my rifle through the lobby and into the elevator of a motel here in Texas. The clerk was Okay with it and I had gotten prior permission. The rifle was in a case but the butt/stock was sticking out for all the world to see.I wonder if you can still do that?

8 years ago I carried my rifle through the lobby and into the elevator of a motel here in Texas. The clerk was Okay with it and I had gotten prior permission. The rifle was in a case but the butt/stock was sticking out for all the world to see.I wonder if you can still do that?
I’d hope there’s still a few places on the outskirts that wouldn’t mind a bit. But for the most part I think those days are over.

I’d hope there’s still a few places on the outskirts that wouldn’t mind a bit. But for the most part I think those days are over.
This is still Texas but that motel was close to Fort Worth. People just think different in metropolitan areas.

A few years ago we were hunting down south for hogs. We flew out of Bradley international in CT. While we were on the packed shuttle bus some soccer mom asked out loud what instruments we played. I looked at my buddy and then back at her and said trombones. Thank God we were ready to exit the shuttle and there were no more questions. In hind sight I should have just said firearms. She probably new anyway

A couple of 2x2's, plywood/paneling/roll of flashing scrap, bubble wrap, a couple of hinges, at least one latch. Your smart enough to figure it out. Just don't let the fellas at the range see it.

Profoundly sad but true statement
Some years back they sold Indian pattern super heavy duty woven seat covers for pickups (pickups all had bench seats back then) that had a gun sleeve sewed in the front behind your legs. Your carbine rode there right handy when you stepped out.
Times change. Me, not so much.
Horse

Some years back they sold Indian pattern super heavy duty woven seat covers for pickups (pickups all had bench seats back then) that had a gun sleeve sewed in the front behind your legs. Your carbine rode there right handy when you stepped out.
Times change. Me, not so much.
Horse
I have placed guns across the tunnel in front if the seat many times.
Kibler sells a soft case that will fit most longer guns. Just placed cased gun in the bed of your truck . If it doesn’t fit get a bigger truck.

You could disassemble the rifle to pack it and put it back together when you arrive at your destination. --- Not a great solution but it should work.

Back in those days, a pick up wasn't complete without a gun rack.
Didn't they make a decal of several guns on a rack just for the rear window? Or am I remembering something that wasn't there? I guess for those who couldn't afford the real thing.

Would not try that in Dallas, but in Brady no big deal.

I drive a Ford Transit Connect, (smaller version of a full sized van), and I put a sheet of plywood to raise the floor of the cargo area by 6 inches. I made two slide out drawers that fit under the raised floor that are 60 inches long, one for the rifles, and the other drawer for whatever. I covered the interior of the drawers in cheap carpeting. I can transfer my guns out of sight, and somewhat protected from theft.

One could do a similar thing to their pickup bed.

With my 42" barrel Pa. long rifles, my wife stitched together some pieces of leather. The leather is long enough to cover the entire rifle, with a flap to fold over and leather lace to tie the end closed. The rifle will easily fit in the bed of my full-size Ford pickup truck, along with all the needed accessories for a trip to the shooting range.

Back