• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

How do you transport your longrifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get a Toyota Corolla. I had a late 2000's years ago and I was able to fold the rear seat down opening the trunk to the cabin and the front seat down and could fit 10' boards inside. I am sure that the passenger seat leans back, lay it back as far as possible ? I am guessing that you have a regular cab and not some form of extended cab. My thought would be to build a plywood box for it to fit inside.

Woody

The padded ski bags are fairly inexpensive, $75-ish. Butt end in the floorboard, muzzle beside the headrest, seatbelt over the bag.

How about one of those roof mounted ski racks? May be more expensive but they are weather proof and lock. You would have to modify the inside to secure the rifles down. Just a thought
https://dks.scene7.com/is/image/GolfGalaxy/15SRKUVSTCRGBXXXXPSR-1?qlt=70&wid=992&fmt=webpPlease don’t buy it from dicks, that was the first pic I saw
I saw this in the parking lot of the Hawken Classic. My first thought was it is a box for long rifles, but I don’t know for sure.

Attachments

• C3D2C5EF-DD3E-4444-B13F-ECE6B665DE5F.jpeg
    C3D2C5EF-DD3E-4444-B13F-ECE6B665DE5F.jpeg
    128.5 KB · Views: 0
buy a cheap hard case at walmart. Lay the rifle in it and mark where the forearm and barrel sticks out.
cut a circular port at that end. get a piece of PVC and some pipe insulation. line the pipe with the insulation, then put your rifle in a sock and lay it in the case, slide the pipe extension over the forearm/barrel and close the case.
this will protect the whole thing.
just an idea.

buy a cheap hard case at walmart. Lay the rifle in it and mark where the forearm and barrel sticks out.
cut a circular port at that end. get a piece of PVC and some pipe insulation. line the pipe with the insulation, then put your rifle in a sock and lay it in the case, slide the pipe extension over the forearm/barrel and close the case.
this will protect the whole thing.
just an idea.
I think we may be related, Scottish??

I make cases out of old jeans legs. I also make such cases for shorter guns. I feel they are more stealthy. They are free too. I drive SUVs. The back seats fold down to make room for long objects.

Soft guitar gases are good for shorter guns.

It’s a shame our world has changed so much that no one, even down here, has a gun rack in their truck anymore. While a rear window gun rack would prove to short for most long rifles, there are models that would fit. Growing up, there wasn’t a truck that didn’t have a rifle rack and most would have an old Winchester hanging in it. I still had a gun rack in my old pickup until the early 80’s, carried a rifle until then too. Then it all just disappeared.

It’s a shame our world has changed so much that no one, even down here, has a gun rack in their truck anymore. While a rear window gun rack would prove to short for most long rifles, there are models that would fit. Growing up, there wasn’t a truck that didn’t have a rifle rack and most would have an old Winchester hanging in it. I still had a gun rack in my old pickup until the early 80’s, carried a rifle until then too. Then it all just disappeared.
we still have them up here. my first trip to this neck of the woods i was (much younger) hiking to a back country alpine lake. at the trail head was a pickup truck parked. windows open, keys in the ignition. in the gunrack hung a beautiful pre 64 unmentionable mdl 70.
that very moment i decided i would never leave here.
turned out to be a neighbor who runs cattle in the high country in summer. have tried to get that rifle from him for the last 30 years!

I had a hellofa time finding a gun case long enough for my Bess. I finally found a Beretta waterproof floating soft case at Cabella's. The floatition is thick and flexible and offers pretty good protection in the bed of my pickup and if I drive off the road into the river some night it will float to the top and some lucky so in so is happy.

I once designed a sturdy canvas carrycase for a what is known as a bar hole punch in the landfill gas industry. Case is 80" long by 6-7 wide with a heavy duty zipper at the top and padding at bottom. I added a nice long carrying strap made of seat belt material. Since the punches are long gone was looking for a case for my recently completed 42" frankenflinter and it works,

we still have them up here. my first trip to this neck of the woods i was (much younger) hiking to a back country alpine lake. at the trail head was a pickup truck parked. windows open, keys in the ignition. in the gunrack hung a beautiful pre 64 unmentionable mdl 70.
that very moment i decided i would never leave here.
turned out to be a neighbor who runs cattle in the high country in summer. have tried to get that rifle from him for the last 30 years!
That’s good to hear!

Back