How do you transport your longrifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

Reaction score
I'm just going to go ahead and ask what may be a dumb question to some of you? How do you transport your longrifle in a vehicle - specifically for me a Toyota Tacoma? I have a 45 caliber poor boy style rifle that I would probably shoot more but honestly it's a pain in the arse to transport. it has a 42" barrel.

I don't have a hard case long enough so I can't put it in the bed of the pickup. I have a gun sock, but that's not the issue. It's too long to fit across the back seat of the truck. If I try to put it muzzle down in the front passenger seat it rides at an odd angle - plust it is then inconvenient if someone needs to ride with me. If I try "standing" it in the back seat one end is wedged under the seat and the other bumps the rear glass so I have to wrap that end in an old towel. This always seem like a good way to get the gun banged up.

My Hawken, English sporter, and Jaeger all fit in a conventional gun case and can be transported as easily as any other modern firearm. So you guys with these gorgeous Kiblers and such with 42" - 44" barrels - how do you haul them around without dinging them all up?

Reaction score
I'm just going to go ahead and ask what may be a dumb question to some of you? How do you transport your longrifle in a vehicle - specifically for me a Toyota Tacoma? I have a 45 caliber poor boy style rifle that I would probably shoot more but honestly it's a pain in the arse to transport. it has a 42" barrel.

I don't have a hard case long enough so I can't put it in the bed of the pickup. I have a gun sock, but that's not the issue. It's too long to fit across the back seat of the truck. If I try to put it muzzle down in the front passenger seat it rides at an odd angle - plust it is then inconvenient if someone needs to ride with me. If I try "standing" it in the back seat one end is wedged under the seat and the other bumps the rear glass so I have to wrap that end in an old towel. This always seem like a good way to get the gun banged up.

My Hawken, English sporter, and Jaeger all fit in a conventional gun case and can be transported as easily as any other modern firearm. So you guys with these gorgeous Kiblers and such with 42" - 44" barrels - how do you haul them around without dinging them all up?
I really don't see how what I do will help you. You have a truck, and I have a Rav4. You have a nice rifle and need to take care of it. Going to sell the truck?
No, would be my guess. Make or purchase a case, or in non clement weather you can just use blankets. Money could, or maybe a problem, but you need to use that fine poor boy.
Larry

Reaction score

I have a 2019 Ford Ranger, which is the same size as a Tacoma. My SMR has the Rice 46" barrel. What I had to do was make a harness that I draped over the headrest. The butt lays on the floor, and the muzzle almost touches the roof.

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ford Ranger, which is the same size as a Tacoma. My SMR has the Rice 46" barrel. What I had to do was make a harness that I draped over the headrest. The butt lays on the flood, and the muzzle almost touches the roof.
That's the way I have settled on carrying mine also (more or less). It seems y'all have the same struggle.

TDM

69 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I drive a Silverado crew cab, I just carry one butt down on the pax side with it resting on the pax seat. But also, since my dog Abby is the only back seat pax 99.5% of the time, the rear seats stay folded up to make room for her dog bed. With the sear bottoms raised and locked i can slide a rifle in between the folded seats where it’s safe and secure. As long as one is in a case I’ve been able to slide 2 in there.

Erwan

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Have you tried putting it in the glove box under the dashboard? (sorry ;))

Can't help you, I don't have any solution/idea for this, I carry my two Tryon, my Pennsylvania rifle, the Sharps, and Frontier Pedersoli behind me: I have an old station wagon Volvo 740...

Reaction score
@Larry (Omaha) I am curious what others do simply because y'all might have a nifty solution I haven't thought about. I'd get a hard case, but I'm not aware of anyone that makes one to fit a longrifle.
These are a little pricey but you can get two rifles in one and they work well.

billraby

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a Nissan Sentra. I can easily fit a few 8 foot 2x4s in there with the trunk and all windows closed. Hauling rifles is not even close to a problem.

Reaction score

ADK Bigfoot

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Unique cases, like SciAggie suggests, are great and reasonable. Also has a pocket for a range rod. Highly recommnended. I shoot a 44 inch barreled southern mountain rifle and it is just right.

ADK Bigfoot

Reaction score
I start with a silicone-treated gun sock from Midway to protect the gun and, perhaps, not advertise what I'm transporting. Placed crossways between the rear seat of my 350 Super Duty crew cab, I fold the seat up with the gun (s) held safely between the lower and upper seat cushions. Hidden is important to me.