• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How do you store your stuff?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have several muzzle loaders but just recently have I gotten into shooting them very much. I don't have much organization of my supplies and accessories. So haow do y'all organize your stuff.

I use a plastic hand held tool box, holds everything I have for rifles. You can fit a surprising amount of stuff in it. It has small divided areas in the lid I keep small parts and tools in. When I go to the range just grab the tool box and the guns and go. For my pistol I use a 30 cal plastic harbor freight ammo can. My "range bag" is just a cheap backpack for headphones, staplers, targets, etc. I see people use tackle boxes and they seem okay to.

All my B/P guns are in my double walled, botted to the floor joists, custom order safe, it is a beast. All of my accessories and black powder are in my shop, black powder in a steel cabinet, accessories in two large tackle boxes. All my casting equipment and lead are in my shop, my collection of range rods are hanging from a rack in my shop that I made just for them.

I have a few range rods, half of them were given to me, the rest I bought or made.

range rods.JPG

Rifle in the big steel box in the back room. The 44 is under my desk.
The box for the rifle and bag for revolver are in the closet.
All powder (and there is a bunch) are in a fire proof box in am out building.
The only thing not away are my powder horns, they hang on a nail over the top of the door.
They are too cool to box up.

A finished basement with two gun safes for the higher dollar stuff, conventionally firearms, and important papers and collections. A wall mounted display rack for the numerous percussion pistols.
The house has a monitored, police dispatched, alarm system accessible by my cell phone app installed. Flooding and fire is also monitored.

If you have kids (infant - juvenile) around, put stuff in safes. Otherwise, as an ongoing, unsuccessful system, I try to keep shotgun stuff in one place and rifle/pistol stuff in another. Segmented/multi-drawer tackle box for range with things used by all - small tools, assorted caps/flints/wads/patches/etc.

Ammo boxes. Lots of ammo boxes. Labelled. Unfireable "project guns" left out in the open for thieves. Black powder - on open shelves b/c in the event of a fire, unless contained, it just goes "poof". Kids are my biggest concern. Worked too many calls with injured kids (several deaths) and unsecured guns.

Well my own mother has called me a hoarder…That is why I thumbed up comfortably _numb’s answer “pile”, I can relate.

I surely don’t want to post details on a public forum but I will say that I have some, what I refer to as “sacrifical“ firearms hanging around. The idea behind that is that the scumbags would grab and go and be happy with what was readily available.

I have a co-worker who was robbed several years ago. The thieves gathered up what they wanted to steal and had piled the stash in the basement. When they were ready to leave they took what they could and left the rest. Obviously they had some time to do that.

But not including firearms, I have some range bags and just cardboard boxes that hold stuff needed or wanted when out shooting.

Good Will stores are nice places to pick up some unique storage solutions for whatever you might need to take with you when you’re out and about shooting etc.

three rifles and a shotgun in the entry hallway leaning on the wife's Indian Artifact glass cabinet. a leather backpack mixed in on the floor, contains all my possibles in the individual bags.
three more rifles in a stairway nook next to the dead animal heads. (wife's moose is bigger than mine, and she never lets me forget it)
six more rifles in an 20 gun space cabinet in our joint office/gunroom, comingling with unmentionables. four more rifles behind the closet door in the office, comingling with more unmentionables.
a repurposed Craftsman tool chest in the area i call my work space in the garage has all my parts and one drawer is full of 54 cal balls and bullets.
a dead RV refer holds the current batches of BP.

For those of you who leave junk guns around for thieves to find- be sure to alter them so no one can make them work again. My old boss was a vindictive man. He left an old single 12 gauge out that he bored the barrel just past the chamber paper thin. Right where your hand would be.

Back