• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

How do you store your muzzleloaders?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two of mine and eighties rendezvous gear. TFC in man cave, that’s it on a wall under a ship module in construction
65B64FF4-E57B-4B97-B8CF-F901B01AA1A0.jpeg
5D45DCE6-8D28-4980-ABFE-45A68AC03DB7.jpeg
E91EE45A-A0CF-4D11-B6F1-3A9A82F20364.jpeg
CC73163D-C8FB-4AE4-B5CC-D4EFC482B6C2.jpeg
65B64FF4-E57B-4B97-B8CF-F901B01AA1A0.jpeg

My long barrel ones will only fit in one of my safes - a 30 gun Browning safe (tilted clockwise). Others are in other safes, lockers, gun cabinets, closets and attic. Most are in Midway silicone treated gun socks which have worked well for me, but it's hard to tell what's in the sock by "feel". Some that I shoot from time-to-time are in the garage safe. Others are ...well ... around here somewhere. Some I've not seen since we moved in '04. Some I've not shot since the '80's.

Those I've retrieved from the various "nests" prove the wisdom of cleaning properly and applying Hoppe's gun grease to metal parts.
My last old-time M/L buddy's now in assisted living, the rest are all dead. Thanks to this forum, my interest in muzzle loading's revived.

Gotta do an inventory....and get more Hoppe's gun grease.

For those tall guns that will not fit into a normal sized safe. A 6’ non working freezer is basically air tight and lockable. A golden rod inserted from the back and you will have zero rust. I dislike displaying my guns even though I am very proud of them.

I only have one gun on display and that is my Lyman .50 Perc. pistol resting on a set of antlers as you walk into the living room. I have a .54 rifle in the man cave resting on a set of buffalo horns on the wall but since I'm the only one that goes in the man cave and no one else is allowed, I can't really say it's on display. My others are in a Browning safe, with Golden Rod and the safe is bolted to the concrete floor.

I had to do a bit of modification to the shelf in my Browning safe but my 42” John Armstrong inspired flintlock fits in very well now. I do wonder why so many store theirs muzzle down. Once mines been cleaned I just run a “lightly“ oiled patch down the bore and stick it in the safe. Cotton

Clean my m/l's with a "water probe" hooked to the hot water tap. Couple dry patches , 'till no corruption is on the dry patch , then stand the gun muzzle down for a spell. One more patch with W/D on it , then into the safe muzzle down. No rust .

All my firearms (except handguns) are stored muzzle DOWN!

Any excess oil in the bores, drain HARMLESSLY out the muzzle, onto a folded patch.

Ever notice those ugly streaks of stain on the wrist and comb of long arms in your local gun shop?
This or horizontal on the wall with the muzzle very slightly down.

I lock mine in a safe because that is the law where I live , they are all in bags to try to stop them being damaged in earthquakes and are stored muzzle down so any oil in the barrel can run out the muzzle not the flash hole where it could end up rotting the wood .

Back