• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How do you store your flints?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not heard of Jamestown but Georgetown chert from Texas. I fit each flint in my wallet to lock it is intended for with the appropriate leather shim. Saves time in the field whether hunting or a mountain man run. Unless you are able to get a large coble and flake off burins you will waste a lock of stone trying to make a gunflint.
Ok i stand corrected! James george mike bob whatev

Be nice if someone offered the wallet with the tools as well.
The problem is that to sell something like that at a price people will buy the tools will all be (for the most part) cheap imports. You can make most yourself or get someone on the forum to make them. I think @Two Feathers does that.

I don't want my spare flints to spoil before I get to use then so I store them in glass jars with thick walls, laying on a bed of dogbane shavings to keeps the dogs from chewing on them, I also toss in a pinch of 'Flint Preservative Powder' from an ancient native Indian recipe (ingredients unknown but they tells me it works). To keep them from getting infested with Chert Bore Beatles I melt some round ball and coat the inside of the jar lids and to prevent the flints from going stale and turning crisp on the edges i put two holes in the lid; one to let fresh air in and one to let stale air out (be sure to mark each one so the air knows which is which). Then like a mother hen I turn each flint often so no air pockets settle on the sharp edge(s).
I have gathered all this information through years of reading long and informative threads on the World Wide Web. None of my flints have ever spoiled or gone stale so it's a proven system and works for me.
I am considering going one step further and burying them with my stored powder under a tree off my property and clear of any neighbors' property....for safety

Do they all have names ?

I don't want my spare flints to spoil before I get to use then so I store them in glass jars with thick walls, laying on a bed of dogbane shavings to keeps the dogs from chewing on them, I also toss in a pinch of 'Flint Preservative Powder' from an ancient native Indian recipe (ingredients unknown but they tells me it works). To keep them from getting infested with Chert Bore Beatles I melt some round ball and coat the inside of the jar lids and to prevent the flints from going stale and turning crisp on the edges i put two holes in the lid; one to let fresh air in and one to let stale air out (be sure to mark each one so the air knows which is which). Then like a mother hen I turn each flint often so no air pockets settle on the sharp edge(s).
I have gathered all this information through years of reading long and informative threads on the World Wide Web. None of my flints have ever spoiled or gone stale so it's a proven system and works for me.
I am considering going one step further and burying them with my stored powder under a tree off my property and clear of any neighbors' property....for safety
I just happen to have some "Flint Preservative Powder" for sale!!!

$500.00 per ounce, send me your credit card information and I'll get it out to you ASAP:p:ThankYou:

Mad L you are a hoot!

Curious how others keep their extras.

The flint wallet is one I made that stays in my possibles bag.

The storage box I bought a couple of years ago at Hobby Lobby in the raw (cheaper than I could have built it) and I stained and finished it.

I put them in a mason jar with water in the fridge.
30 years ago I was new to flinters, and one of the guys that was mentoring me "pulled my leg", telling me the flints would last longer while shooting, if I did this
So I still keep them in the fridge... they don't get lost that way...., they are in the jar, right next to the ale-brewing, yeast packets.

LD

Be nice if someone offered the wallet with the tools as well.
I made the wallet for my Pedersoli. The tools are Pedersoli as well. I have both the Kentucky long rifle and Kentucky pistol in .45 flintlock so everything works nicely together. The design non the wallet is 16th century Algonquin. I know there probably wasn't anything like this back in the 16-1700s but if I'd been around back then, who knows?

I love that, what do each of those tools get used for?
It's actually two separate tool kits from Pedersoli. One is a lock set for disassembly and maintenance (I have the pan brush and the exact touch hole pick on the strap to my possibles bag) it's also a flint knapping kit. I've had very good luck putting a new edge on the flint while leaving it in the jaws. I have not had the opportunity to cut new flints, hence the flint wallet, lol. There's a turn screw between a couple layers of leather you can't see also.

I make my own, size is 2”x4”

Attachments

• 3C0EFFC3-24C9-4993-93BC-EDDEC62ED666.jpeg
    3C0EFFC3-24C9-4993-93BC-EDDEC62ED666.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • F01773B7-B7E2-4B40-BD15-E07A25E30EB8.jpeg
    F01773B7-B7E2-4B40-BD15-E07A25E30EB8.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
I just happen to have some "Flint Preservative Powder" for sale!!!

$500.00 per ounce, send me your credit card information and I'll get it out to you ASAP:p:ThankYou:

Mad L you are a hoot!
I got my formula from a 103 year old Chief of the Washoe Tribe (that is pronounced 'Wha-she-shoe' not like the pale faces here say 'wash-show', foolish long hair can't speak correctly), he said he is old enough his father remembers the great Chard Bore Beatle infestation of 1800s, it brought the downfall of many great tribes when arrowheads and rifle flints began to shatter....I asked his father and he confirmed the stories. So my method is pretty sound!

As for "Do I name them?"; only the ones that tickle my fancy, the rest I just call Jane, they know who they are.

Btw; I made my own carrier for those not in storage, more of a Tool Roll then a 'wallet'... the feathers, well we will just call them Chard Bore Beatle Swatters for now 😉

Attachments

• 20221201_183459.jpg
    20221201_183459.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
I used to buy 100 flints of Track of the Wolf every time I placed an order , I requested thin flints and they sorted them out for me , I now have enough to last me until the end of my shooting career . I keep them stored by size in snap lock plastic boxes to stop them drying out :thumb:
I set up my flints with leather well before I need them , when I get them sorted I superglue the leathers on for a quick change . I use both Tom Fuller's black English flints , some are actually a translucent brown , and yellow French flints with nibbled heels . When hunting I carry 2 spare flints in the patch box on my rifle .

Latest posts

Back