• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

How do you load your smoothbore for shot?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be honest. It's nothing to do with cushioning anything and everything to do with case filling for an ideal crimping height of the case.
Seeing as we don't use a cartridge case we don't need tall wads.
We can use them sure. But with a choked muzzleloader it's just making it all the more harder to load.

Here is what I use in an original percussion 15 ga. First down the tube is 2 1/2 drams of 3f powder (around 68 grains), next is a tight over powder wad. Then down goes half of a lubed cushion wad, then one ounce of shot and then a over shot wad. This is a square load. This patterns well in this original gun. If using a .62 smooth bore I think 7/8s of an ounce of shot might work well with an equal amount of powder from a 7/8s ounce shot dipper. But, with muzzle loaders experimentation is in it. Stay within the recommended charge limits. And, pattern shot loads at least at 25 yards.. The reason half of a cushion wad was used is that in some guns a full cushion wad will cause patterns with holes in them. In the end muzzle loading is individualistic. Find the load that works for you within safe limits. But, pattern the gun.

I load it just like a sequence used in loading a shot gun shell. just no plastic shot cup. all wads.

20 gauge: 60 gr FF, commercial fibre wad, Same measure of shot, over shot card.
I punch my over shot cards out of milk carton. The OS cards need to be as light as you can get away with, or they will mess up your pattern. Get some big paper, and pattern whatever you want to use; it's worth taking the time to do.

I tried the yellow jacket nest, grass, leaves, bark and combinations there of with my 10 bore, it gave very unsatisfying results.
I quickly decided that although they may have used such items "back in the day" they must have had trouble killing anything. Blow-by was definitely a problem using the above items.
I have overshot and over powder wads, and use them. But also do as Brittsmoothy and VM Star recommend and just use one type of wad, using several as overpowder wads.
Seems to work well.

I admit it never occurred to me before, but have any of you other guys here in the southwest ever tried creosote bush as shot wadding? I'm thinking of giving it a try next time I'm out with Bess (both shot and ball). 🤔

About the 5:45 mark

For my skeet shooting I use a square load. I start with 80 - 85 3f powder charger. Then I use a nitro card in each barrel. I put half a cushion wad that’s been soaked In olive oil down each barrel. Then use the powder scoop for my shot. I then ram a shot card in each barrel. Now I’m ready to go shoot. This is my skeet load, and I don’t know if it would be a good load for hunting. I plan on using the skychief load for small game shooting.

Tip #1......Had best success hunting w/ m/l shotguns using .125 card wad over powder , equal measure of powder and shot by volume ,in other words , use the same dipper for powder as shot. After dumping the shot on top of the .125 card wad , split a .125 card in half and put the half on top of the shot. The trick to good patterns , is to use light wads that will quickly drop out of the cloud of shot and not scatter the shot. Patterning will prove this. It's not rocket science...............oldwood

Tip #1......Had best success hunting w/ m/l shotguns using .125 card wad over powder , equal measure of powder and shot by volume ,in other words , use the same dipper for powder as shot. After dumping the shot on top of the .125 card wad , split a .125 card in half and put the half on top of the shot. The trick to good patterns , is to use light wads that will quickly drop out of the cloud of shot and not scatter the shot. Patterning will prove this. It's not rocket science...............oldwood
On the rare occasion I load my Bess (11 ga)(.750 bore) I do almost exactly the same. (I use the same card over powder and over shot.)
I did use that load to take out a nuisance possum. I never took the time to pattern it - but possum at 25 yards was a no contest....

Griz.......Have built 4 Besses in my time , and kept one for me. Still have it from 1970. Bess is a blast to hunt squirrels and the occasional bunnie , if it is stationary. Though I admit , the first squirrel died from being bludgeoned with the ever present Iron r/r. The grey was to his hole , wounded , and I had to do something rash, standing there w/ an unloaded musket. I bumped my shot size up to # 5 shot and had no problems with wounded critters again.......oldwood

70 grains of 2fg, .125 nitro card, 90 grn volume measure #5 copper plated shot, 1 .025 over shot wad. Patterns well kills clean with all shot exiting so no shot in the meat.

Used same in my 16 gauge and my 20 gauge club butt.

Latest posts

Back