• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

How do you equip different guns? (For the field)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Excluding Range Boxes, Truck boxes etc

My question is how do you handle getting out the door with the right equipment for the right rifle? I myself have a Percussion .54 I shoot a lot, a flint .54 I shoot quite a bit, A Percussion .32 I shoot a bunch and a new Flint .32 (and 3 or 4 more ML that are safe queens )

Right now I am taking the new Flint .32 out and I had to get my primer from my flint .54 kit, my loading block, round balls and patches from my Percussion .32, then powder, knife, patch lube etc, etc.:confused:

is that what you do? Do you rummage like I do?
Do you have a bag for each gun?
Is it fully kitted? Each bag containing all that that gun needs and never borrowing from any of the others?
Do you have a better way?

I have thought about building a new bag for each gun.
With me that would mean 4 bags, 4 powder horns, 2 primers, 4 patch knives Etc etc but it would also mean I wouldn't have to spend half an hour rummaging all my gear to make up a bag for the rifle I intend to shoot today.

Looking forward to hearing how you all work around this issue. :ThankYou:

I have a bag for each with every thing needed in each. The only thing that goes along separate is my belt knife that serves as patch knife, ball starter and any other need. So that’s 4 bags and one knife.

Each of my guns has its own bag an horn an is what I call married to the particular gun im using at the time. Each has its own loading block an powder measure an whatever could be called on for the guns needs. When I walk out the door with whatever gun I have the matching bag an accessories is right with it.

My hunting guns each had their own possible bag and powder horn. Whether a smooth bore or rifle. Proper size wads, shot or balls, Each had it's own measure. necessary tools, primer horn and even a knife with sheath incorporated into the carry strap.

I have a bag for each most commonly used rifle. A .45 and a .54. Each has every thing needed except patch knife. I put a belt sheath knife on the strap of the bag. Could be any knife as long as it's sharp.

I no longer have a .50 cal gun and may not get another so there is an empty bag waiting to accommodate a .58.

I use a tackle box now. I guess you could call it a range box but thought I would throw it out there for a different option. Works quite well with all the compartments for different size RBs. I had a canvas tool bag like the military use but kinda outgrew it. For awhile I had two bags. Large and small caliber. I currently have 8 different calibers.

I use a tackle box now. I guess you could call it a range box but thought I would throw it out there for a different option. Works quite well with all the compartments for different size RBs. I had a canvas tool bag like the military use but kinda outgrew it. For awhile I had two bags. Large and small caliber. I currently have 8 different calibers.

Yeah there was a topic awhile back on range boxes, it was interesting how organized some members are. . . or aren't :p I have one (most of us do), but it can't go into the woods with me. I'm after a better way to get out the door with one gun and head into the woods knowing I have the right gear with me when I get 2 miles down the trail.

You need the dedicated bag to make the grab and go out the door work. You can use one horn for 2fg and one horn for 3fg and one patch knife. The shot bag needs its own measure, turn screw, patches, ball and tin of hunting lube.

The process is grab the gun, grab the shot pouch, grab the horn, grab the patch knife, grab some water and a snack and out the door you go.

I have a bag for each gun; the .54 flint rifle has its bag, and the Caywood 20 ga. fusil has its bag. At the moment, because my fusil de chasse doesn't have a bag, I use a tackle box for it.

A little explanation: Because the thread sizes for such things as jags, and ball screws are different for the two smoothbores, I feel that each is entitled to its own bag. Each gun shoots a different size ball, as well.

Do you have a bag for each gun?
Is it fully kitted? Each bag containing all that that gun needs and never borrowing from any of the others?
Do you have a better way?

Each rifle and gun has just about it's own bag. I have some muskets with which I don't hunt, so their ammo box is just one box. There is a bag for the trade guns (plural) and the 20 gauge SxS that holds shot and ball, and caps when I've the SxS...the ball comes out when I'm going for upland birds with the SxS as I need the space for birdshot rounds...or when it's not deer season as Mr. DNR Officer doesn't like you to have deer ammo on you when carrying a trade gun when it's not deer season. The .40 has it's own bag, the .50, as well, and the .54's have a single bag. Nobody cares if you have a tin of caps with you when you're using a flinter, or the reverse, having flints on you when you're with a caplock.

It's also right neighborly to give some poor sod a half-dozen or so of your caps when you're out hunting with a flinter and come across a chap who just dumped his open can o'caps in the snow..or to give a guy a flint as he forgot extras and he just discovered his had fallen out someplace behind him as he walked.;)

My horns are loaded by powder...3Fg for my rifles, 2Fg for the guns. The powder measures are on the bags. Often I have premade cartridges for birds and squirrels so the horn is just extra.

I didn't used to do it that way..., and I'd often forget or simply grab the wrong stuff, and then just waste my time, as I'd have none of the stuff I needed.

LD

You need the dedicated bag to make the grab and go out the door work

And, make sure the right bag and horn is made in the grab.
I have bag for gun and bag for rifles that are prepared before hunt. The smooth bore is used most in my adventures. It is always ready.
I use range box for revolvers as I only load from bench loader and very seldom need to reload in the field.

Last edited:
Didn't see that as too complex of an issue.
When hunting I have a bag for that.
In it I will put the items that apply to any gun:
Short Starter, Cleaning patches, small bottle of MAP, small leatherman (not PC but a real trip saver), a small brass flask (2 oz) of powder.
Then if using a cap gun - a Ted Cash cap dispenser (holds 100) and a prick hanging on the strap.
For a flinter - extra flint, leather and tool for the jaw.
Then the caliber dependant ball board with 6 balls and patches in place. I generally load powder and ball before leaving camp.
In a second belt bag (like a small knap) a couple of bottles of water, some protein snacks (usually jerky or granola bars), a small pack first aid kit, my Color Magellon and silenced cell phone. (I.C.E.)
I don't stay out for more than daylight hours - usually a lot shorter.

Range trips are a different story, I take everything but the kitchen sink....

Back