• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How do you eat them

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best doggone grits ever this morning!!! Prepped for a colonoscopy all day yesterday with liquids only and then at 6:00 pm the earth moving cleansing started. , no food or drink after midnight. Got up at 4:00 and drove 45 miles to the hospital where the abuse was to take place. After They thoroughly humiliated me they wheeled me back to my room and presented me with “breakfast”. The toast had been inside the styrofoam “to go” container so it was steamed to the point that a fine pair of moccasins could be fabricated with it, the eggs were probably good 2 hours ago, bacon, what can I say, it was after all bacon so it had to be good but my bowl of barely warm, gummy, white (probably instant) grits with the butter that had melted from being incarcerated in the styrofoam steam bath that ruined the toast, salt and pepper to me was top of line culinary fare.
Sounds to me like you had a feast. After my colonoscopy all I got was a cup of coffe and a thin slice of dry banana bread. Under the circumstances of not eating for over 24 hours, it tasted GREAT. Getting old ain't for sissies is it?

Okay- this is pretty off the wall but a lot of folks today eat Sushi. I'm not going to eat raw fish since in cleaning a lot of fish you end up seeing a lot of worms, etc.- COOK THAT THING. In any event I haven't tried it but "Southern Sushi" To make sushi you need this bamboo mat. You overlap seaweed, then "sticky rice" and raw fish, etc. and roll up the mat, then cut into slices. I don't have a mat but...collard greens instead of seaweed, grits instead of sticky rice, and country ham instead of raw fish, roll it cut, cut it into slices and serve as appetizer. It would look just like sushi. I bet it would be pretty good.

Okay- this is pretty off the wall but a lot of folks today eat Sushi. I'm not going to eat raw fish since in cleaning a lot of fish you end up seeing a lot of worms, etc.- COOK THAT THING. In any event I haven't tried it but "Southern Sushi" To make sushi you need this bamboo mat. You overlap seaweed, then "sticky rice" and raw fish, etc. and roll up the mat, then cut into slices. I don't have a mat but...collard greens instead of seaweed, grits instead of sticky rice, and country ham instead of raw fish, roll it cut, cut it into slices and serve as appetizer. It would look just like sushi. I bet it would be pretty good.
Thats a really creative take on using grits. Waaaaay - " outside the box ". But really cool. Where I come from, we called sushi - BAIT! Eating Seaweed - I'm never going to be " that hungry "! I know 2 men that nearly died & had lost much of their intestines from parasites from eating raw fish - tuna, & one guy from eating raw oysters.
The combining of the greens with grits & ham sounds fantastic with a whole new twist.

I worked for the Japanese for over 25 years. I've eaten sushi many times. It all has to do with the restaurant. There are many excellent quality places to eat. Avoid gas station Sushi like the plague.

I worked for the Japanese for over 25 years. I've eaten sushi many times. It all has to do with the restaurant. There are many excellent quality places to eat. Avoid gas station Sushi like the plague.
A lot of sushi these days don’t have raw sea food in them. My favorite restaurant is the Hong Kong Buffet in Cranston RI. Great sushi most is various vegetable rice varieties. A little wasabi and soy sauce and viola, no more stuffy nose. 😁

A lot of sushi these days don’t have raw sea food in them. My favorite restaurant is the Hong Kong Buffet in Cranston RI. Great sushi most is various vegetable rice varieties. A little wasabi and soy sauce and viola, no more stuffy nose. 😁
There are sushi that is cooked, such a eel and salmon, and few others, like cod. Raw blue fin tuna is one of my favorites. There is one dish, the name I can't remember, is a dish served with fresh raw fish. The fish is so fresh, it is still flopping when you are served. I tried it once. A have also tried fugu, once, only once! I have to admit, when I first ate Japanese food, I didn't think I would like it, but it grew on me. My favorite cooked fish is teriyaki salmon. It is notable that wasabi we get in the US is most likely to be horse radish with green food coloring. True wasabi tastes different and is almost never found here. They will both open up you sinuses!

Now, back to grits, eggs, and country fried ham!

Last edited:
Holding my nose and only under duress. That is why I try to stay west of the Continental Divide and north of the 35th parallel
Noting your name that made me smile. I grew up with Tex Mex, or more specifically New Mexican food, and a bit of Navaho food, that was at least influenced by Mexican.
But I could never develop a taste for Mexican Chorizo. I’ve had Spanish Chorizo that was pretty tasty
How do you feel about menudo?
Definitely a grits flavor there

I am Basque... I don't like Mexican chorizo, but do make and eat Spanish Chorizo. I have only had menudo one time that I liked. I don't particularly like the taste of intestines! innards!

Attachments

• 1639082594648_photo.png.jpg
    1639082594648_photo.png.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Grits, menudo, brussels sprouts....I got to be awfully hungry to go down that road. Some things best left on the ground, unpicked or not made. Of course, I do eat blood sausage, so there is that.

My business partner was raised in the South......no breakfast is complete without his grits.

Grits, menudo, brussels sprouts....I got to be awfully hungry to go down that road. Some things best left on the ground, unpicked or not made. Of course, I do eat blood sausage, so there is that.

My business partner was raised in the South......no breakfast is complete without his grits.
Blood sausage is red boudin here in south Louisiana. Blood has to be pasteurized now to sell here. White boudin is made with the organs and what left over from the butchering. Hog head cheese, boudin, eggs, butter, bacon and biscuits. When you're done with a coonass's breakfast you won't be hungry for dinner. It will carry you to supper time. "Bonne appetite"

Back