• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

How do you eat them

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting thread. There are white grits and yellow grits and there is an event in Georgia with fresh grits. I've never had fresh grits. Yellow grits go pretty well with smoked fish. Brennan's in New Orleans, who is consistently ranked as having one of the best breakfasts in the country has cheese grits at $6 a pop, I had to try them. Pretty good.
Redeye gravy, I thought that was ham drippings and coffee.
white milk, I thought was a béchamel type thing, white flour, butter, milk.
Sawmill- as others have said- never heard about it until recently, Brown? How do you make it?
I make brown sausage gravy this way:
1. Cook 1 lb pork sausage and get it nice and brown
2. I take about half the cooked sausage out and keep it for eating with scrambled eggs.
3. Sprinkle @1/2-3/4 cup flour onto remaining sausage and stir until fully incorporated- cook on medium for 1-2 minutes
4. Start stirring in milk and keep stirring to get all the brown bits from the bottom of the pan - add milk if it gets too thick
5. Serve gravy over fresh biscuits or hash brown potatoes with a couple of fried eggs on top - YUM!
Leftover gravy reheats well. - normally I add more milk to thin it when reheating

I have never heard of Grits , chicken fried steak , and white gravy , (although that may be what I call white sauce) , or redeye gravy .I think that what you call biscuits we call scones , what we call biscuits you call cookies .All in all this is an interesting thread . It all looks like a heart attack in waiting , but it sounds like a tasty

🤮 Grits should be outlawed. Yuk.
I think it funny how some folks truely hate them.
I love beans, but don’t care for lentils or black eyed peas both taste musty to me. So I understand. I got to say I like most grains, most, I don’t think I’ll make up a bowl of millet any time soon
I do like tge strong corn flavor, corn bread,mush,hasty pudding, corn on the cob, succotash et al

My grand daughter and I watched Roots. Kunta told the old fiddler he wanted more "grits dummy". So I ordered some from amazon. The next day it was at my doorstep. Seems like they were waiting for someone to order it so they could get it off the shelf.

I would agree with @tenngun about the flavor. Corn tastes good to me, and grits have a good corn flavor. I like ‘em plain as well as anything. I like the taste of sugar cane, too, and prefer turbinado to refined sugar for sweetening, because you can taste the cane. It’s more than just the sweetness.

I also like blackeyed peas, though. I think a lot of it has to do with the foods you were given growing up. My mom used to joke that modern-day “soul foods” were the “sole foods” when she was growing up. They couldn’t get anything else!

Notchy Bob

I would agree with @tenngun about the flavor. Corn tastes good to me, and grits have a good corn flavor. I like ‘em plain as well as anything. I like the taste of sugar cane, too, and prefer turbinado to refined sugar for sweetening, because you can taste the cane. It’s more than just the sweetness.

I also like blackeyed peas, though. I think a lot of it has to do with the foods you were given growing up. My mom used to joke that modern-day “soul foods” were the “sole foods” when she was growing up. They couldn’t get anything else!

Notchy Bob
Now, the mention of sugar cane brings up a whole new topic. Growing up in south GA, cane syrup was a staple that got applied to biscuits at breakfast. Decades later, I still make the trip from TN to south GA after Thanksgiving to buy a case of amber colored cane syrup from a elder gentleman who makes it the same way his grandfather did 100 years ago, in a large round steel kettle - that was also used by his grandfather. Cane syrup has a unique taste that you either like or don't - and is not the same as molasses (which I don't care for). But this is a whole other thread than grits, so back to the topic at hand...

Best doggone grits ever this morning!!! Prepped for a colonoscopy all day yesterday with liquids only and then at 6:00 pm the earth moving cleansing started. , no food or drink after midnight. Got up at 4:00 and drove 45 miles to the hospital where the abuse was to take place. After They thoroughly humiliated me they wheeled me back to my room and presented me with “breakfast”. The toast had been inside the styrofoam “to go” container so it was steamed to the point that a fine pair of moccasins could be fabricated with it, the eggs were probably good 2 hours ago, bacon, what can I say, it was after all bacon so it had to be good but my bowl of barely warm, gummy, white (probably instant) grits with the butter that had melted from being incarcerated in the styrofoam steam bath that ruined the toast, salt and pepper to me was top of the line culinary fare.

I make brown sausage gravy this way:
1. Cook 1 lb pork sausage and get it nice and brown
2. I take about half the cooked sausage out and keep it for eating with scrambled eggs.
3. Sprinkle @1/2-3/4 cup flour onto remaining sausage and stir until fully incorporated- cook on medium for 1-2 minutes
4. Start stirring in milk and keep stirring to get all the brown bits from the bottom of the pan - add milk if it gets too thick
5. Serve gravy over fresh biscuits or hash brown potatoes with a couple of fried eggs on top - YUM!
Leftover gravy reheats well. - normally I add more milk to thin it when reheating
You just made me hungry!

I have never heard of Grits , chicken fried steak , and white gravy , (although that may be what I call white sauce) , or redeye gravy .I think that what you call biscuits we call scones , what we call biscuits you call cookies .All in all this is an interesting thread . It all looks like a heart attack in waiting , but it sounds like a tasty way to go . 😁
White gravy also called white cream sauce or Bechmel Sauce, is fat, flour and milk. The fat can come from any source, butter, animal fat or vegetable oil.

Latest posts

Back