• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How do you eat them

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, out of fairness since the last time I tried them, I had my partner put a couple of dabs of his grits on my plate at breakfast this morning. Tried them both ways...sweet with butter and sugar....savory with salt and Louisiana hot sauce (how he eats them).

I think I will stick with the third way...leave them on the plate for the garbage. I guess I am simply a heathen..as the genteel southern ladies say, "Bless his heart".

OK, out of fairness since the last time I tried them, I had my partner put a couple of dabs of his grits on my plate at breakfast this morning. Tried them both ways...sweet with butter and sugar....savory with salt and Louisiana hot sauce (how he eats them).

I think I will stick with the third way...leave them on the plate for the garbage. I guess I am simply a heathen..as the genteel southern ladies say, "Bless his heart".
You don’t like what you don’t like
( under my breath ‘what a freak!’)
Just teasing, there are all sorts of foods that are ‘normal’ I just can’t stand
Collard greens, black eyed peas, lentils, sushi, liver and onions, broccoli, turnip,..

I like to use House of Autry dry mixes for battering chicken and fish. I was just on their website and found a great looking recipe for grit cakes. Here is a link to that recipe:
https://www.house-autry.com/blogs/recipes/cheddar-cheese-grit-cakesThis grit recipe has to be good so I will be trying it soon. Also, if you are one that likes good comfort food, check out their recipe page. Good looking stuff there. And my current favorite way to enjoy grits is with butter and honey. I have a bowl every morning...

Just saw another grit recipe on there:
https://www.house-autry.com/blogs/recipes/southern-spicy-tomato-grits-casserole

I tried some “artisan milled” locally grown rice grits. Garden and Gun award winner and several other awards. I had never heard of such. I thought, “ how could they taste like anything but rice?” I followed the directions exactly as written, they said use water or chicken broth so I chose water. It took just over 30 minutes with boil, simmer and rest. I was all excited to try a new taste experience. First bite….,,.Rice, darn good rice but none the less rice.

I tried some “artisan milled” locally grown rice grits. Garden and Gun award winner and several other awards. I had never heard of such. I thought, “ how could they taste like anything but rice?” I followed the directions exactly as written, they said use water or chicken broth so I chose water. It took just over 30 minutes with boil, simmer and rest. I was all excited to try a new taste experience. First bite….,,.Rice, darn good rice but none the less rice.
That's pretty funny. I guess it is like turkey bacon in a way. Sure, it is pretty good for what it it. But it ain't bacon...

Two ways fresh with butter milk and a little white sugar then the best way is refrigerate in a loaf pan 2 days then slice 1/4" thick fry in cast iron with a good amount of bacon grease, serve with a generous sprinkling of white sugar.

Well, having the misfortune of being born a yankee, I tend to avoid grits.
Long ago during my misspent youth I was hitch-hiking across Georgia. I had spent the night camped in the woods off some back road. In the morning, I was hungry. I caught a ride into a small town where I found a little cafe. Inside I ordered coffee, bacon and eggs, and rye toast. When my breakfast arrived it had this awful white mush piled on the plate half covering my eggs. I didn't have a clue what it was!
Now I've been living in Tennessee for 23 years. I have learned to tolerate grits. I can eat them, but they will never be a favorite.
():>)

Well, having the misfortune of being born a yankee, I tend to avoid grits.
Long ago during my misspent youth I was hitch-hiking across Georgia. I had spent the night camped in the woods off some back road. In the morning, I was hungry. I caught a ride into a small town where I found a little cafe. Inside I ordered coffee, bacon and eggs, and rye toast. When my breakfast arrived it had this awful white mush piled on the plate half covering my eggs. I didn't have a clue what it was!
Now I've been living in Tennessee for 23 years. I have learned to tolerate grits. I can eat them, but they will never be a favorite.
():>)
Why do you consider being born a Yankee a misfortune?

Following Desert Storm, Feds gave out surplus military food to Sheriffs for inmates. Two tractor-trailer loads showed up, including several pallets of grits. Jail cook (a lady of German descent) said "What do I do with that?"

Needless to say, if a cook doesn't want to fix something, the results are less than stellar. Only a coupla inmates even knew what grits were. Welfare cheese eventually at least saw some consumed. WTH, free food, right?

Got out of hospital two days ago after five days of fighting pneumonia. Last breakfast had grits. Until then, never had grits as a bad as Annie-The-Jail-Cook slopped on a tray. Hospital kitchen is her match. UGHHH!

Grits love them, wife hates them. Married the love of my life moved here to costal North Carolina, took her out to breakfast one morning along with her order came an order of grits she said I didn't order those, told her you're in the south now honey, thought she was going to turn green, told her to just slide them over here. Best grits I ever ate was is a diner on the way to the Outer Banks, big bowl and you can stand a spoon up in them a bit of salt, pepper and a chunk of butter and it's on. to the Yankees must be something in the water once you get north of the Mason Dixon line, you fellas up there have no ideal as to fine dining, or a lot of other things.

From a yankee who visited Charleston last fall, grits with shrimp is pretty good stuff or as part of breakfast or….
How about this: cook your grits and set aside. In a skillet cook up some chopped onions, peppers, and mushrooms. When they are done dump in a half can or so of hash and heat it through. Now mix with the grits, cover in hot sauce and Mexican shredded cheese. And slop it all into a flour tortillas. That is a breakfast that will get you going. I call it hash burrito.

Why do you consider being born a Yankee a misfortune?
Oh you know….. American by birth, southren by the Grace of God😊
I had the bad luck to be born in California and lucky enough to grew up in New Mexico. Moved to the Ozarks at twenty five
Wasn’t born in the south but got here as fast as I could

Back