• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

HOW DO YOU CARRY YOUR'S?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cut about 12" or so of 2" wide pillow ticking and put it through my shirt button hole under the button. The length will depend on how many rounds I plan to shoot. I have been doing this for both range time and hunting for over 40 years no problems.

Suppose you had a hollow cylindrical container with a cap and the cap has a hole in the end. A roll of greased patch material is placed into the container and the interior end of the strip is then fed through the hole in the cap. You can pull out enough patch strip to cut at the muzzle and the rest of the roll stays clean inside the container. Call it a "cut at the muzzle patch roll dispenser".
That's a pretty cool idea Tom. Thanks,

I used to make up prelubed strips and keep them in 35mm film cans. For a match I would pin a strip to my frock at a convenient height. I used to compete in a vertical cut-the-stake team match and finally just made up a loading block that held about 20 patched round balls.

Mostly I lube a few pre-cut patches and carry them in an old "cap" tin in a pocket or in the shoulder bag. On range trips I carry a bag of patches and lube them as needed.
Wondering what you use as lube for patching. I'm thinking of using the ballistol mix. Last time I tried Mink tallow I had a stuck ball. think I had too much on the ticking. And it doesn't dry like ballistol. Course I sometimes use spit but want something for winter hunting that won't freeze. Thx. P.

I plan on working in my mink oil lube into the whole strip before hand. The strip is 1-1/2" wide and maybe 12" long. So after you cut, do you just stuff the remaining strip back into your bag or do you have some sort of a container to put it in?

So first, I only grease the side of the cloth patch that touches the barrel. I don't "work in" the lube into the cloth.
After cutting I return the cloth to the shooting pouch.

LD

I carry cut ones in a round brass tin. I have the strip rolled and in a light leather poke with the end sticking out. I pull it and cut off the part I want. It unrolls as I pull it. Kinda like a number roll dispenser in a waiting room.

Btw, for lube, I use olive oil. I have nickel silver oilers from DGW. The kind with a stick dauber cap. Works wonderfully.

I have been using straight Ballistol on patches and in the barrel as a preservative for 35+ years. I have a friend who lives in Alaska and when he can he sends me bear oil. As for mixing Ballistol with something else, do not use water, someone here on the post mixed it with water and tried to blame the Ballistol for all the rust in the barrel.

Wondering what you use as lube for patching. I'm thinking of using the ballistol mix. Last time I tried Mink tallow I had a stuck ball. think I had too much on the ticking. And it doesn't dry like ballistol. Course I sometimes use spit but want something for winter hunting that won't freeze. Thx. P.

Mink oil (TOW) works well for me and is my preferred lube for hunting. Since most of my shooting is at the range I like Hoppes BP lube which is about as good as it gets. If a lot of shooting is expected while hunting, Hoppes works great as patch lube. But with it being a liquid I don't leave a prb with Hoppes lube in the bore longer than a day or two. Hoppes does dry out over time but not mink oil, of course.

No, I learned about that when I was 19. Went to spend a night sleeping on the ground with my flintlock with patches in my patch box. Guess what, next am there was no way i could get that patch box open, because of the overnight moisture the lid had swollen enough that it was locked tight. So, just because it is called a patch box does not mean anything unless you only go to the range and shoot.

Back