• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

HOW DO YOU CARRY YOUR'S?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
HI All. I am gong to switch from using pre-cut round patches to cutting the patch from a strip of pillow ticking when loading. I plan on working in my mink oil lube into the whole strip before hand. The strip is 1-1/2" wide and maybe 12" long. So after you cut, do you just stuff the remaining strip back into your bag or do you have some sort of a container to put it in?
Thanks.

It depends. Usually I poke the patching strip through a button hole in my coat or waist coat. If loading at the bench, I have a section of the bench where I lay the patch strip under my patch knife.

It depends. If I'm at the range I put it back I'm my shooting box or leave it laying on the table. If I'm loading from my bag I tie it loosely (so it can be adjusted to the height I need) to the strap. If I'm hunting I use a loading block.

When I used cloth strips for patching at the range, I would pull the wet strip from my mouth, seat the roundball at the muzzle, short start the load, and cut the cloth. Put the free end of the cloth strip back into my mouth and ram the patch/ball combo down the barrel. Then repeat the process again for the next shot.

Mostly I lube a few pre-cut patches and carry them in an old "cap" tin in a pocket or in the shoulder bag. On range trips I carry a bag of patches and lube them as needed.

Suppose you had a hollow cylindrical container with a cap and the cap has a hole in the end. A roll of greased patch material is placed into the container and the interior end of the strip is then fed through the hole in the cap. You can pull out enough patch strip to cut at the muzzle and the rest of the roll stays clean inside the container. Call it a "cut at the muzzle patch roll dispenser".

A novel way the old timers did it when shooting in matches out of the shot pouch was to cut the patches in appropriate squares , stack them how ever thick you like , put a cord on a big needle and insert the needle through the stack of patches. One end of the cord can be attached to pouch strap , horn strap , or w/ button into a button hole in a coat , or vest. One patch at a time lubed or not can be easily stripped from the cord and used. ........ I don't do this and mostly carry lubed patches like Hanshi.................oldwood

Suppose you had a hollow cylindrical container with a cap and the cap has a hole in the end. A roll of greased patch material is placed into the container and the interior end of the strip is then fed through the hole in the cap. You can pull out enough patch strip to cut at the muzzle and the rest of the roll stays clean inside the container. Call it a "cut at the muzzle patch roll dispenser".
I have one of the old aluminum screw top 35mm film containers that I cut a slit in the side of. Lubed strip of patching is rolled up and put in the container with the end fed thru the slot. Pull out what you need, then cut at the muzzle. Not HC correct, but it keeps grit and debris from getting stuck in the lubed patch material.

Cap and ball you tube does a vid on Austrian military rifles with triangular patches and they were on a ring that pop off easy as mentioned above.
Black powder manic cuts his strips almost through so they pull apart easily.
I bet the old boys did as many ways as we can think of today.

I have one of the old aluminum screw top 35mm film containers that I cut a slit in the side of. Lubed strip of patching is rolled up and put in the container with the end fed thru the slot. Pull out what you need, then cut at the muzzle. Not HC correct, but it keeps grit and debris from getting stuck in the lubed patch material.
Exactly right. How about if it was made from wood?

For shooting at the range I use a tuna fish tin with a plastic lid. The cut patches are kept in the tin with some lube squirted in the plastic lid. I'll smear about a dozen patches in the lube and just pick them out when needed. For strips of patching material I lube the entire strip which I keep in a small leather bag tied to my shooting bag with the end hanging out and cut off patches as needed.

While I now mostly use a loading block for hunting, I used to cut about a 3/8’ hole on one end of a 5-6” strip of geased patched material and slide it up the shank and right under the ball/handle of my short starter that was either attached to my bag strap or inside my bag. . I’d just leave the strip on starter while seating/cutting. Very accessible and fast.. At the bench/ casual shooting I just lube up Pre-cuts and keep them in a tin or brass container.

I do most of my shooting out in the desert, so I keep a couple Altoids tins full of pre-cut, pre-lubed homemade patches in them in my bag. I just made up several strips of nearly-cut-through patches like Mark the BP Maniac Shooter uses, but I pre-lubed them (Ballistol/water "dry" patch method), whereas he lubes them as he goes. I haven't been out to try them yet, so I'm not sure how I'll carry those.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back