• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How do U compensate for various distance with your ML?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
again i will reply that if you get good with a .22 long rifle and kentucy windage on it, the same can be used on a flinter or percussion.
Were not the kentucky folks who invented this windage thing not shootin smokey squirrel guns... :p

Forgive me a bit of technical sight adjustment however with all this talk about "Kentucky windage" I will remind that the term "windage" refers to horizontal correction due to cross wind. For distance alone we correct by raising elevation.

"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon.... Windage and elevation."
upload_2019-5-6_21-29-6.png

Oh...By the way. That's a model 92 Winchester the Duke is carrying in a scene from 1865 at the close of the Civil War. Guess he was a bit ahead of his time...

Many years ago I shot metallic silhouette competition with iron sighted handgun out to 200 meters and used the front sight elevation method favored by Elmer Keith. The front sight is held higher in the rear sight notch for extended ranges and its positioning on the target remains the same. I grew very confident with this aiming method and do the same with ML rifles.

That is exactly what I do.
When this subject comes up I am always amazed at how few people know about this superior technique.
I figured it out on my own when I was about 10'or 11'years old shooting pellet guns and .22's.
Twenty years later was amused that Keith was an advocate of this method as well.
Works for all types of guns with open sights.

Back