• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

How do these patches look?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
75ABD8D8-0599-4A0A-896D-DE92974426CF.jpeg
22152910-3FDD-4D15-A75B-62A1E7875F7E.jpeg
0.018 pillow ticking, Frontier’s anti rust and patch lube, 90 gr. FFG Goex, .490 Ball.
Not sure why the one on the right is so shredded compared to the others.

The ones pictured in the bottom photo look pretty good from what I see. But the burned, torn up patch is concerning. Your muzzle may need smoothing since patches can be cut just getting started into the muzzle.

I’d be happy with those. They look similar to mine. I even had a random, torn up one like you do. Still haven’t figured out what happened.🤔

The one on the right might have been loaded off center so that the ball was too close to the edge of the patch. Are these precut patches or cut at the muzzle?

If precut, consider using a bigger patch. If cutting at the muzzle, maybe start the ball a little deeper before cutting. The fraying is quite close to the ring where the ball is riding the bore.

I second the Joanne's #40 pocket drill. It's about the same thickness but seems tougher than the pillow ticking.

If I'm printing nice tight groups on paper, I don't even bother to look for the patches on the ground.
I agree with this 100%! I just assumed the OP was getting crappy groups and that’s why he asked. I wouldn’t care if my patches turned into confetti when they came out as long as I’m hitting where I’m aiming.

About the only problem I've ever encountered with using heavy patching material is when the patch is a little on the large size it can cause a bit of "fold" in the bore. But once I get it knocked down an inch or two it slides down easy-peasy.

Latest posts

Back